Re: grass Valley Gas works

  • Steve Coffey
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
      Hi Mike,

      If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
      Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
      works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
      next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
      car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
      of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
      constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
      post or send. Steve Coffey

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, EANDPNG@... wrote:

      > The Grass Valley gas works was (is) located just north of Hills
      Flat not far
      > from (before) where the line crosses Wolf Creek. The main building
      of the
      > complex still stands and is used by a completely different sort of
      business.
      > The plant (in later years operated by Pacific Gas & Electric)
      made what was

    • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
        In a message dated 10/9/2006 8:38:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        ncngrr@... writes:

        Hi Mike,

        If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
        Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
        works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
        next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
        car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
        of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
        constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
        post or send. Steve Coffey

        Mike and Steve,

        I had forgotten about the stills created from Al Phelps movies on this site.
        In the view of the gas plant the plant building is hidden behind the fuel
        tank. The main building of the plant consist of two story rectangular structure
        with a single hip roof with ridge running perpendicular to the NCNG main and
        a attached structure on the south side of about a story and a half with an
        uneven hip roof. the entire plant is constructed of corrugated metal. The view
        just below the one of the gas plant is just a short way north (towards Nevada
        City) of the gas plant at the point where the main crosses Wolf Creek. The
        track that takes off to the right is the lead to the Idaho-Maryland timber
        tracks.

        Regards,
        Greg Maxwell