Re: grass Valley Gas works

  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      The Grass Valley gas works was (is) located just north of Hills Flat not far
      from (before) where the line crosses Wolf Creek. The main building of the
      complex still stands and is used by a completely different sort of business.
      The plant (in later years operated by Pacific Gas & Electric) made what was
      commonly called "domestic gas" using a process that involved vaporizing heavy
      fuel oil with burning coke. These materials were delivered to the plant by the
      narrow gauge via a short spur on the west side of the main. The plant sat on
      the other side of the creek than the NCNG and the covered unloading platform
      straddled the stream.
      Regards,
      Greg Maxwell
      Milwaukie, OR

    • Steve Coffey
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
        Hi Mike,

        If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
        Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
        works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
        next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
        car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
        of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
        constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
        post or send. Steve Coffey

      • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
          In a message dated 10/9/2006 8:38:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          ncngrr@... writes:

          Hi Mike,

          If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
          Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
          works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
          next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
          car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
          of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
          constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
          post or send. Steve Coffey

          Mike and Steve,

          I had forgotten about the stills created from Al Phelps movies on this site.
          In the view of the gas plant the plant building is hidden behind the fuel
          tank. The main building of the plant consist of two story rectangular structure
          with a single hip roof with ridge running perpendicular to the NCNG main and
          a attached structure on the south side of about a story and a half with an
          uneven hip roof. the entire plant is constructed of corrugated metal. The view
          just below the one of the gas plant is just a short way north (towards Nevada
          City) of the gas plant at the point where the main crosses Wolf Creek. The
          track that takes off to the right is the lead to the Idaho-Maryland timber
          tracks.

          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell