Re: grass Valley Gas works

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      Mike,

      I have photos of the ICC maps for the NCNG however I don't have them on this
      computer. They're on my other computer and if I can make it over to it
      tonight I'll get them and send them your way. Originally I was going to post
      these in the files section of the group but I never got a chance to.

      -Andrew-

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        The Grass Valley gas works was (is) located just north of Hills Flat not far
        from (before) where the line crosses Wolf Creek. The main building of the
        complex still stands and is used by a completely different sort of business.
        The plant (in later years operated by Pacific Gas & Electric) made what was
        commonly called "domestic gas" using a process that involved vaporizing heavy
        fuel oil with burning coke. These materials were delivered to the plant by the
        narrow gauge via a short spur on the west side of the main. The plant sat on
        the other side of the creek than the NCNG and the covered unloading platform
        straddled the stream.
        Regards,
        Greg Maxwell
        Milwaukie, OR

      • Steve Coffey
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
          Hi Mike,

          If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
          Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
          works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
          next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
          car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
          of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
          constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
          post or send. Steve Coffey

        • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
            In a message dated 10/9/2006 8:38:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            ncngrr@... writes:

            Hi Mike,

            If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
            Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
            works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
            next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
            car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
            of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
            constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
            post or send. Steve Coffey

            Mike and Steve,

            I had forgotten about the stills created from Al Phelps movies on this site.
            In the view of the gas plant the plant building is hidden behind the fuel
            tank. The main building of the plant consist of two story rectangular structure
            with a single hip roof with ridge running perpendicular to the NCNG main and
            a attached structure on the south side of about a story and a half with an
            uneven hip roof. the entire plant is constructed of corrugated metal. The view
            just below the one of the gas plant is just a short way north (towards Nevada
            City) of the gas plant at the point where the main crosses Wolf Creek. The
            track that takes off to the right is the lead to the Idaho-Maryland timber
            tracks.

            Regards,
            Greg Maxwell