grass Valley Gas works

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      Ref: Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Gerald Best, Top photo page 118

      Hi again,
      Once more to bug you all. Where is this complex located, and does
      anyone know the Spur trackage?? and where it spurred off the main line?

      Any materials related to this complex are gretly appriciated.

      thanks again

      Mike Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        Mike,

        I have photos of the ICC maps for the NCNG however I don't have them on this
        computer. They're on my other computer and if I can make it over to it
        tonight I'll get them and send them your way. Originally I was going to post
        these in the files section of the group but I never got a chance to.

        -Andrew-

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
          The Grass Valley gas works was (is) located just north of Hills Flat not far
          from (before) where the line crosses Wolf Creek. The main building of the
          complex still stands and is used by a completely different sort of business.
          The plant (in later years operated by Pacific Gas & Electric) made what was
          commonly called "domestic gas" using a process that involved vaporizing heavy
          fuel oil with burning coke. These materials were delivered to the plant by the
          narrow gauge via a short spur on the west side of the main. The plant sat on
          the other side of the creek than the NCNG and the covered unloading platform
          straddled the stream.
          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell
          Milwaukie, OR

        • Steve Coffey
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
            Hi Mike,

            If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
            Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
            works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
            next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
            car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
            of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
            constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
            post or send. Steve Coffey

          • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
              In a message dated 10/9/2006 8:38:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              ncngrr@... writes:

              Hi Mike,

              If you go the the links page, then to the Nevada County Narrow
              Guage Project link, on page 3 you'll find a picture of the gas
              works. There's also a picture of #5& #2 double heading in the snow
              next to the plant in Best's book. I also have a picture of a fruit
              car behind #5 in Colfax. You can see the left front corner and part
              of the side past the door. Enough to get an idea of the
              constuction. I'll see if I can scan or get a digital shot of it to
              post or send. Steve Coffey

              Mike and Steve,

              I had forgotten about the stills created from Al Phelps movies on this site.
              In the view of the gas plant the plant building is hidden behind the fuel
              tank. The main building of the plant consist of two story rectangular structure
              with a single hip roof with ridge running perpendicular to the NCNG main and
              a attached structure on the south side of about a story and a half with an
              uneven hip roof. the entire plant is constructed of corrugated metal. The view
              just below the one of the gas plant is just a short way north (towards Nevada
              City) of the gas plant at the point where the main crosses Wolf Creek. The
              track that takes off to the right is the lead to the Idaho-Maryland timber
              tracks.

              Regards,
              Greg Maxwell