Re: Bucker Snowplow

  • eabracher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 18, 2006
      Nice work John.

      Would make a nice kit in HOn3.

      eric

    • Jim Vail
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
        Rick wrote:

        > Greetings All,
        >
        > I'm working on a few Ca. narrow gauge cars and wondered if someone on the
        > list could give me color advice for Box cars. Preferably for Floquil.

        Rick -

        Contact Randy Hees at hees@... - he is the expert.

        Jim Vail
      • Rick
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
          Greetings All,

          I'm working on a few Ca. narrow gauge cars and wondered if someone on the
          list could give me color advice for Box cars. Preferably for Floquil.

          Thanks,

          Rick

        • Randy Hees
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 29, 2006
            What year and or railroad are you modeling? This does change over the
            years.

            I am short of time right now (off to San Jose for the races) but...

            Generally, a Tuscan red early on (at least if painted by the Carter
            Brothers) SPC (and N&C) transitioned to a "Metalic color" (a 19th
            centrury paint name meaning made from iron bearing pigment, not meaning
            metal flake) darker brown red (Roof brown with a bit of red) Roads like
            the NCNG or later SP offer still more choices.

            Randy Hees
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 29, 2006
              Based on a conversation I had with Herman Darr a while ago, the NCNG painted
              their boxcars an oxide red, I don't know how to describe the shade off hand
              but it was very red in the later years. In the NCNG's early years there is
              no known data on the color but since their earliest rolling stock was from
              the Carter Brothers a safe assumption is to go with a tuscan red for the
              period from 1876-1900 and the oxide red from 1901 on.

              -Andrew-

              On 7/29/06, Randy Hees <hees@...> wrote:

              > What year and or railroad are you modeling? This does change over the
              > years.
              >
              > I am short of time right now (off to San Jose for the races) but...
              >
              > Generally, a Tuscan red early on (at least if painted by the Carter
              > Brothers) SPC (and N&C) transitioned to a "Metalic color" (a 19th
              > centrury paint name meaning made from iron bearing pigment, not meaning
              > metal flake) darker brown red (Roof brown with a bit of red) Roads like
              > the NCNG or later SP offer still more choices.
              >
              > Randy Hees

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 30, 2006
                Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at the 1930's with a heavy NCNG
                emphasis it looks like an oxide red is the way to go.

                Thanks for all the help.

                Rick

                _____