Re: Bucker Snowplow

  • Kevin Miller
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
      John,

      Herman Darr has drawn plans for the buckler snowplow that he sells
      along with several NCNGRR drawings. He would also very likely have
      unpublished pictures if there are any.

      Herman Darr
      P.O. Box 2186
      Nevada City, CA 95959

      You should also try the California State RR Museum library. I
      purchased some unpublished pictures of Engine Number 8 from them a
      while back.

      Kevin Miller
      Winlock, WA
    • John Foster
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hello Kevin,

        It was Herman Darr's plan out of Finescale that I based my build on of the Bucker plow .
        I received a photo from Doug Macleod that was just fantastic, the picture shows the plow in very fine shape.
        I do appreciate the info and will act on it right away, I had built the plow in large scale with only the drawing as my only source and with the new picture it has helped with the changes I needed to make for the one in On3.
        I would like to see more of this plow and will ask Mr. Darr if he has any other photo's as well.
        The NCNG had some unique looking cars and I hope to model a few more of them.
        I am near finished with the Bucker plow in On3 just a few more details to do and I am still searching for a prototypical coupler for it.
        Any suggestions?, I have a PSC but it just looks to large.
        I don't know what Grantline carries one and will check them out.
        When I finish I will upload a few pictures.
        I really appreciate the info, Thanks again.

        John.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 18, 2006
          Hello All,

          I just loaded a few pictures of my finished ON3 NCNGRR Bucker Snowplow
          in the phot section.

          The fun part was making the blade rise up & down, I left out the grab
          irons and stirrups like what was shown in the picture that Doug MacLeod
          sent me.

          I also turned up a few of the wheels that are used for ballast, the
          picture shows them all faced down and I'm sure the reason for that would
          be to better get a hold of them if need be.

          But that's just a guess on my part and I'm sure I could be wrong, I just
          wanted to show a little detail on my model so a few were turned up.

          Anyway I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I had building it.

          Thanks You to those who sent me the info, it helped a great deal.

          John.

        • eabracher@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 18, 2006
            Nice work John.

            Would make a nice kit in HOn3.

            eric

          • Jim Vail
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
              Rick wrote:

              > Greetings All,
              >
              > I'm working on a few Ca. narrow gauge cars and wondered if someone on the
              > list could give me color advice for Box cars. Preferably for Floquil.

              Rick -

              Contact Randy Hees at hees@... - he is the expert.

              Jim Vail
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
                Greetings All,

                I'm working on a few Ca. narrow gauge cars and wondered if someone on the
                list could give me color advice for Box cars. Preferably for Floquil.

                Thanks,

                Rick

              • Randy Hees
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 29, 2006
                  What year and or railroad are you modeling? This does change over the
                  years.

                  I am short of time right now (off to San Jose for the races) but...

                  Generally, a Tuscan red early on (at least if painted by the Carter
                  Brothers) SPC (and N&C) transitioned to a "Metalic color" (a 19th
                  centrury paint name meaning made from iron bearing pigment, not meaning
                  metal flake) darker brown red (Roof brown with a bit of red) Roads like
                  the NCNG or later SP offer still more choices.

                  Randy Hees
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 29, 2006
                    Based on a conversation I had with Herman Darr a while ago, the NCNG painted
                    their boxcars an oxide red, I don't know how to describe the shade off hand
                    but it was very red in the later years. In the NCNG's early years there is
                    no known data on the color but since their earliest rolling stock was from
                    the Carter Brothers a safe assumption is to go with a tuscan red for the
                    period from 1876-1900 and the oxide red from 1901 on.

                    -Andrew-

                    On 7/29/06, Randy Hees <hees@...> wrote:

                    > What year and or railroad are you modeling? This does change over the
                    > years.
                    >
                    > I am short of time right now (off to San Jose for the races) but...
                    >
                    > Generally, a Tuscan red early on (at least if painted by the Carter
                    > Brothers) SPC (and N&C) transitioned to a "Metalic color" (a 19th
                    > centrury paint name meaning made from iron bearing pigment, not meaning
                    > metal flake) darker brown red (Roof brown with a bit of red) Roads like
                    > the NCNG or later SP offer still more choices.
                    >
                    > Randy Hees

                  • Rick
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 30, 2006
                      Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at the 1930's with a heavy NCNG
                      emphasis it looks like an oxide red is the way to go.

                      Thanks for all the help.

                      Rick

                      _____