Re: Bucker Snowplow

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2006
      John,

      I'm at work at the moment so I try and do this from memory.
      There is a photo of the plow in Best's book but it doesn't show the entire
      plow. I believe there are some pictures of the plow out there that just
      haven't been published.
      The wheels added to the deck did not have axles.

      -Andrew-

      On 6/8/06, John Foster <shayboiler@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am hoping someone can assist me in a bit of info on the NCNG Bucker
      > Snowplow, all I know of it is what I have from a drawing out of Finescal
      > Railroader.
      >
      > I have built several of the plows now in 1.20.3 scale going by the
      > drawing and have started one in On3.
      >
      > For my first question, does anyone know if there is an exsisting photo
      > of the plow ? and it was said that for ballast, eight wheels wer added
      > on th deck.
      >
      > Second question, were these wheels without there axels?
      >
      > Thanks, Regards John.

    • John Foster
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2006
        Andrew,

        I appreciate the info and I ordered Best's book.
        Everything on NCNG I have collected has been out of magazines so I hope this will give me even more info the railroad.
        I have admired the uniqueness of the rolling stock for a while now and plan on modeling a few more cars very soon.
        If you know of any other books out there that might interest me, please let me know.

        Thanks Again.

        John.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 8, 2006
          John,

          Two other great resources for the NCNG are:
          A Tale Of Two Cities And A Train by Brown
          and
          Birth Of California Narrow Gauge by MacGregor
          Brown's book is another must have, MacGregor's book has some useful
          information and a some interesting photos but the NCNG only takes up a
          portion of the book. Its well worth the read if you can get your hands on
          it.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 8, 2006
            Andrew,

            I found one of the books, Birth Of California Narrow Gauge.
            I had seen A Tail Of Two Cities on the net just the other day at a very good price and for the life of me, I now can't find it.
            Isn't that how it goes some times,LOL.
            Some books are very hard to come by and when you do find them plan on shelling out the big bucks.
            In any case I will keep looking and maybe I will get lucky,LOL.

            Thanks for the help,

            John.

            Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:
            John,

            Two other great resources for the NCNG are:
            A Tale Of Two Cities And A Train by Brown
            and
            Birth Of California Narrow Gauge by MacGregor
            Brown's book is another must have, MacGregor's book has some useful
            information and a some interesting photos but the NCNG only takes up a
            portion of the book. Its well worth the read if you can get your hands on
            it.

            -Andrew-

            On 6/8/06, John Foster <shayboiler@...> wrote:

            > Andrew,
            >
            > I appreciate the info and I ordered Best's book.
            > Everything on NCNG I have collected has been out of magazines so I hope
            > this will give me even more info the railroad.
            > I have admired the uniqueness of the rolling stock for a while now and
            > plan on modeling a few more cars very soon.
            > If you know of any other books out there that might interest me, please
            > let me know.
            >
            > Thanks Again.
            >
            > John.
            >

            > Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@... <andrew.brandon%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            > John,
            >
            > I'm at work at the moment so I try and do this from memory.
            > There is a photo of the plow in Best's book but it doesn't show the entire
            > plow. I believe there are some pictures of the plow out there that just
            > haven't been published.
            > The wheels added to the deck did not have axles.

          • Kevin Miller
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
              John,

              Herman Darr has drawn plans for the buckler snowplow that he sells
              along with several NCNGRR drawings. He would also very likely have
              unpublished pictures if there are any.

              Herman Darr
              P.O. Box 2186
              Nevada City, CA 95959

              You should also try the California State RR Museum library. I
              purchased some unpublished pictures of Engine Number 8 from them a
              while back.

              Kevin Miller
              Winlock, WA
            • John Foster
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                Hello Kevin,

                It was Herman Darr's plan out of Finescale that I based my build on of the Bucker plow .
                I received a photo from Doug Macleod that was just fantastic, the picture shows the plow in very fine shape.
                I do appreciate the info and will act on it right away, I had built the plow in large scale with only the drawing as my only source and with the new picture it has helped with the changes I needed to make for the one in On3.
                I would like to see more of this plow and will ask Mr. Darr if he has any other photo's as well.
                The NCNG had some unique looking cars and I hope to model a few more of them.
                I am near finished with the Bucker plow in On3 just a few more details to do and I am still searching for a prototypical coupler for it.
                Any suggestions?, I have a PSC but it just looks to large.
                I don't know what Grantline carries one and will check them out.
                When I finish I will upload a few pictures.
                I really appreciate the info, Thanks again.

                John.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 18, 2006
                  Hello All,

                  I just loaded a few pictures of my finished ON3 NCNGRR Bucker Snowplow
                  in the phot section.

                  The fun part was making the blade rise up & down, I left out the grab
                  irons and stirrups like what was shown in the picture that Doug MacLeod
                  sent me.

                  I also turned up a few of the wheels that are used for ballast, the
                  picture shows them all faced down and I'm sure the reason for that would
                  be to better get a hold of them if need be.

                  But that's just a guess on my part and I'm sure I could be wrong, I just
                  wanted to show a little detail on my model so a few were turned up.

                  Anyway I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I had building it.

                  Thanks You to those who sent me the info, it helped a great deal.

                  John.

                • eabracher@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 18, 2006
                    Nice work John.

                    Would make a nice kit in HOn3.

                    eric

                  • Jim Vail
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
                      Rick wrote:

                      > Greetings All,
                      >
                      > I'm working on a few Ca. narrow gauge cars and wondered if someone on the
                      > list could give me color advice for Box cars. Preferably for Floquil.

                      Rick -

                      Contact Randy Hees at hees@... - he is the expert.

                      Jim Vail
                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 28, 2006
                        Greetings All,

                        I'm working on a few Ca. narrow gauge cars and wondered if someone on the
                        list could give me color advice for Box cars. Preferably for Floquil.

                        Thanks,

                        Rick

                      • Randy Hees
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 29, 2006
                          What year and or railroad are you modeling? This does change over the
                          years.

                          I am short of time right now (off to San Jose for the races) but...

                          Generally, a Tuscan red early on (at least if painted by the Carter
                          Brothers) SPC (and N&C) transitioned to a "Metalic color" (a 19th
                          centrury paint name meaning made from iron bearing pigment, not meaning
                          metal flake) darker brown red (Roof brown with a bit of red) Roads like
                          the NCNG or later SP offer still more choices.

                          Randy Hees
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 29, 2006
                            Based on a conversation I had with Herman Darr a while ago, the NCNG painted
                            their boxcars an oxide red, I don't know how to describe the shade off hand
                            but it was very red in the later years. In the NCNG's early years there is
                            no known data on the color but since their earliest rolling stock was from
                            the Carter Brothers a safe assumption is to go with a tuscan red for the
                            period from 1876-1900 and the oxide red from 1901 on.

                            -Andrew-

                            On 7/29/06, Randy Hees <hees@...> wrote:

                            > What year and or railroad are you modeling? This does change over the
                            > years.
                            >
                            > I am short of time right now (off to San Jose for the races) but...
                            >
                            > Generally, a Tuscan red early on (at least if painted by the Carter
                            > Brothers) SPC (and N&C) transitioned to a "Metalic color" (a 19th
                            > centrury paint name meaning made from iron bearing pigment, not meaning
                            > metal flake) darker brown red (Roof brown with a bit of red) Roads like
                            > the NCNG or later SP offer still more choices.
                            >
                            > Randy Hees

                          • Rick
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 30, 2006
                              Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at the 1930's with a heavy NCNG
                              emphasis it looks like an oxide red is the way to go.

                              Thanks for all the help.

                              Rick

                              _____