Re: 8-ton Carter Bros box car

  • Randy Hees
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2006
      Andrew...

      The best knowlage is the cars were built as kits in the Carter's short
      lived San Francisco plant, but assembled by a Carter crew in Colfax (at
      least the first 15 cars). As such we would assume they painted them
      their standard color. Lettering could have been done by a locally hired
      sign painter, as was done in Monterey, so there could easly be a local
      influence there.

      Wooden cars were repainted and resided frequently, and within 10 years
      it is likely that eveything had been repainted by the railroad at least
      once, so would no longer be builder's paint, but may well have been
      influenced by the builder's practice.

      By the time color film is available (mid to late 1930's) The cars have
      been rebuilt several times, and repainted many times, and managment had
      changed at least 3 times, so anything you see is NCNG railroad not
      Carter Brothers.

      Randy

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2006
        Randy,

        Thanks for clearing that up.
        It looks like I'll have to go digging into some old newspapers to see
        if I can find any mention of the construction work in Colfax. I
        believe that at that point in time atleast 3 papers covered the colfax
        area so there might be some useful information around. Since it was
        the Carter crew that assembled them I agree that a tuscan color would
        most likely be appropriate.

        -Andrew Brandon-