Re: NCNG Sidings and loading points

  • Aaron Splawn
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 2005
      Hi Randy,

      A while back Herman Darr had a complete (hand drawn) map of the railroad and all of the sidings. It was done in relation to the current (1990's) roadways. It includes the original line and You Bet Tunnel which he located when Rollins Lake was low. It is very useful for layout planning and for spending the day in the foothills railfaning...

      On another note, I drove up to Colfax last night and discovered there has been a considerable amount of progress on the depot. It will soon be used for passengers and will also house a small railroad museum...

      Randy Brown <asmtrains@...> wrote:
      Hi Group,
      I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.

      I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
      clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
      grounds).

      Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their location,
      length, direction of departure and which side of the track they are?

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Thanks a lot,
      Randy Brown
      Arrowhead Scale Models
      P.O. Box 53
      Randsburg, CA. 93554
      Check out my E-Bay Store at:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

      Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check them out!

    • B. Douglas Jensen
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
        I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to them. I
        tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
        take.

        Doug Jensen

        www.theholidaycabaret.com
      • Jake
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
          Doug; I'd love to get a copy of that map. Thanks!

          Tom Venz

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
            Doug,

            Put me on the list as well. I have topos to mark up!!

            Doug Stuard
            Reston, VA
            Modeling the Bear River Bridge in N scale

            I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to
            them. I
            tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
            take.

            Doug Jensen

            www.theholidaycabaret.com

            Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
            Check them out!

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            " on the web.

            _____

          • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
              Doug,

              Please do mail it. thanks, Joe, up in Siskiyou County, on the Klamath
              River

              From: "B. Douglas Jensen" <bdouglas@...>
              Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:56:20 -0800
              To: <NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com>

              I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to them. I
              tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
              take.

              Doug Jensen

              www.theholidaycabaret.com

              Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check
              them out!

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              web.

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • clipperw@EarthLink.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                Doug,

                I would appreciate n e-mail copy of the Herman Darr map. Thanks in
                advance.

                Bill Barber

                On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 12:56 PM, B. Douglas Jensen wrote:

                > I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to
                > them. I
                > tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
                > take.
                >
                > Doug Jensen
                >
                > www.theholidaycabaret.com
                >

                > Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
                > Check them out!
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Aaron Splawn

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                    I'll call your bluff, Aaron; if you hate to be the one to bring it up, then
                    why did you?<g> JR

                    From: Aaron Splawn <aaronsplawn@...>
                    Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:29:53 -0800 (PST)
                    To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com

                  • dmacleod@surewest.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                      After talking to Herman about copying his drawing Aaron, you may be the only
                      one that will be able to anything from Herman. To put it mildly, Herman is
                      very upset with the copying of his material.
                      Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
                      > I'll call your bluff, Aaron; if you hate to be the one to bring it up,
                      > then
                      > why did you?<g> JR
                      >
                      > From: Aaron Splawn <aaronsplawn@...>
                      > Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:29:53 -0800 (PST)
                      > To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: <NevadaCoNG> NCNG Sidings and loading points
                      >

                      > I hate to be the one to bring this up, but since Herman makes a living
                      > selling his plans etc., it's probably appropriate to contact him for a
                      > copy
                      > of his map. Just a thought...
                      >

                      > Randy Brown <asmtrains@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Group,
                      > I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.
                      >
                      > I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
                      > clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
                      > grounds).
                      >
                      > Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their location,
                      > length, direction of departure and which side of the track they are?
                      >
                      > Any help will be appreciated.
                      >
                      > Thanks a lot,
                      > Randy Brown
                      > Arrowhead Scale Models
                      > P.O. Box 53
                      > Randsburg, CA. 93554
                      > Check out my E-Bay Store at:
                      > http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

                      > them out!

                      > them out!
                      >

                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      > web.

                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      > them out!
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Ken Lass
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                        Group,

                        Does any one have a contact to post with Herman so we can do bussiness
                        above board?

                        Ken Lass

                        ============================

                      • dmacleod@surewest.net
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                          Herman Darr's address is:
                          P.O. Box 2186, Nevada City, CA 95959

                          Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                            If Herman would be willing to put a price on the map (on list or off-
                            list), I would be happy to send him a check.

                            If he would prefer to keep the material out of the public domain, I
                            will delete it from my inbox.

                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCNGRR> " on the

                            Service

                            > >>Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section
                            yet? Check
                            > >>them out!
                            > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > > Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section
                            yet? Check
                            > > them out!
                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Aaron Splawn
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                              I brought this up because I understand how easy it is to take advantage of modern technology to share these items. I can't lie and say I haven't been guilty of it myself, but I think we just need to keep in mind that this is one of the ways Herman (and others) make a simple living for others to enjoy...

                              Aaron

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                                I will stop emailing this document out folks. Herman handed these maps out
                                to a group of us who took his free tour he gave about 6 years ago so I
                                should not have assumed that this would be OK. If someone will contact him
                                re: this and he gives the OK then I will glad to cooperate in anyway I can.

                                Doug Jensen
                              • Steve
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 5, 2006
                                  Hi Group,

                                  My name is Steve Coffey and I just joined the group. I'm a big
                                  fan of the NCNGRR and have been envolved with for many years with
                                  the NCNGProject at the Fairgrounds and also the TMD museum many
                                  years ago. The link you have on this site (Community-webtv/ncng) is
                                  my personal web page that I set up for the NCNGProject. They now
                                  have their own web page at www.ncngproject.org, check it out! I
                                  read most of the postings to catch up and wanted to mention I have
                                  access to old state maps of the NCNG that note all the sidings with
                                  frog numbers and distances, where they were on the mainline, etc. I
                                  haven't looked at them in a long time but I'm pretty sure they
                                  mention the use of the sidings (ice house, lumber mill, etc), but if
                                  the info is out there, maybe we can compare notes and work out the
                                  info without copying Herman's map. He put a lot of work into them
                                  and hopefully will be willing to sell them to us. If I remember,
                                  it's from the early 1900s and may not be accurate if sidings were
                                  added in the 20s or 30s. They are too big to copy but I might be
                                  able to look up some info if it would help.

                                  I'm glad to find another large group of NCNG fans, Later, Steve

                                  --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Brown" <asmtrains@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Group,
                                  > I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.
                                  >
                                  > I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
                                  > clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
                                  > grounds).
                                  >
                                  > Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their
                                  location,
                                  > length, direction of departure and which side of the track they
                                  are?

                                  > Any help will be appreciated.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks a lot,
                                  > Randy Brown
                                  > Arrowhead Scale Models
                                  > P.O. Box 53
                                  > Randsburg, CA. 93554
                                  > Check out my E-Bay Store at:
                                  > http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

                                • Kevin Miller
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                                    Steve,

                                    Thank you for the new link to the club layout. I hope they decide to
                                    include a track plan some day.

                                    Concerning Herman Darr's siding drawings. I know he sells them
                                    because I bought a copy from him at least a year ago.

                                    Kevin Miller
                                    Winlock, WA