NCNG Sidings and loading points

  • Randy Brown
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi Group,
      I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.

      I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
      clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
      grounds).

      Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their location,
      length, direction of departure and which side of the track they are?

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Thanks a lot,
      Randy Brown
      Arrowhead Scale Models
      P.O. Box 53
      Randsburg, CA. 93554
      Check out my E-Bay Store at:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models
    • Aaron Splawn
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2005
        Hi Randy,

        A while back Herman Darr had a complete (hand drawn) map of the railroad and all of the sidings. It was done in relation to the current (1990's) roadways. It includes the original line and You Bet Tunnel which he located when Rollins Lake was low. It is very useful for layout planning and for spending the day in the foothills railfaning...

        On another note, I drove up to Colfax last night and discovered there has been a considerable amount of progress on the depot. It will soon be used for passengers and will also house a small railroad museum...

        Randy Brown <asmtrains@...> wrote:
        Hi Group,
        I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.

        I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
        clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
        grounds).

        Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their location,
        length, direction of departure and which side of the track they are?

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Thanks a lot,
        Randy Brown
        Arrowhead Scale Models
        P.O. Box 53
        Randsburg, CA. 93554
        Check out my E-Bay Store at:
        http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

        Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check them out!

      • B. Douglas Jensen
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
          I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to them. I
          tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
          take.

          Doug Jensen

          www.theholidaycabaret.com
        • Jake
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
            Doug; I'd love to get a copy of that map. Thanks!

            Tom Venz

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
              Doug,

              Put me on the list as well. I have topos to mark up!!

              Doug Stuard
              Reston, VA
              Modeling the Bear River Bridge in N scale

              I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to
              them. I
              tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
              take.

              Doug Jensen

              www.theholidaycabaret.com

              Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
              Check them out!

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              " on the web.

              _____

            • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                Doug,

                Please do mail it. thanks, Joe, up in Siskiyou County, on the Klamath
                River

                From: "B. Douglas Jensen" <bdouglas@...>
                Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:56:20 -0800
                To: <NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com>

                I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to them. I
                tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
                take.

                Doug Jensen

                www.theholidaycabaret.com

                Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check
                them out!

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • clipperw@EarthLink.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Doug,

                  I would appreciate n e-mail copy of the Herman Darr map. Thanks in
                  advance.

                  Bill Barber

                  On Sunday, November 6, 2005, at 12:56 PM, B. Douglas Jensen wrote:

                  > I have a pdf file of Herman's map if anyone wants me to email it to
                  > them. I
                  > tried to download it to the files section of the groups but it wouldn't
                  > take.
                  >
                  > Doug Jensen
                  >
                  > www.theholidaycabaret.com
                  >

                  > Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
                  > Check them out!
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Aaron Splawn

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                      I'll call your bluff, Aaron; if you hate to be the one to bring it up, then
                      why did you?<g> JR

                      From: Aaron Splawn <aaronsplawn@...>
                      Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:29:53 -0800 (PST)
                      To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com

                    • dmacleod@surewest.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                        After talking to Herman about copying his drawing Aaron, you may be the only
                        one that will be able to anything from Herman. To put it mildly, Herman is
                        very upset with the copying of his material.
                        Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
                        > I'll call your bluff, Aaron; if you hate to be the one to bring it up,
                        > then
                        > why did you?<g> JR
                        >
                        > From: Aaron Splawn <aaronsplawn@...>
                        > Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:29:53 -0800 (PST)
                        > To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: <NevadaCoNG> NCNG Sidings and loading points
                        >

                        > I hate to be the one to bring this up, but since Herman makes a living
                        > selling his plans etc., it's probably appropriate to contact him for a
                        > copy
                        > of his map. Just a thought...
                        >

                        > Randy Brown <asmtrains@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Group,
                        > I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.
                        >
                        > I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
                        > clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
                        > grounds).
                        >
                        > Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their location,
                        > length, direction of departure and which side of the track they are?
                        >
                        > Any help will be appreciated.
                        >
                        > Thanks a lot,
                        > Randy Brown
                        > Arrowhead Scale Models
                        > P.O. Box 53
                        > Randsburg, CA. 93554
                        > Check out my E-Bay Store at:
                        > http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

                        > them out!

                        > them out!
                        >

                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        > web.

                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        > them out!
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Ken Lass
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                          Group,

                          Does any one have a contact to post with Herman so we can do bussiness
                          above board?

                          Ken Lass

                          ============================

                        • dmacleod@surewest.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                            Herman Darr's address is:
                            P.O. Box 2186, Nevada City, CA 95959

                            Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                              If Herman would be willing to put a price on the map (on list or off-
                              list), I would be happy to send him a check.

                              If he would prefer to keep the material out of the public domain, I
                              will delete it from my inbox.

                              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCNGRR> " on the

                              Service

                              > >>Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section
                              yet? Check
                              > >>them out!
                              > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > > Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section
                              yet? Check
                              > > them out!
                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Aaron Splawn
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                                I brought this up because I understand how easy it is to take advantage of modern technology to share these items. I can't lie and say I haven't been guilty of it myself, but I think we just need to keep in mind that this is one of the ways Herman (and others) make a simple living for others to enjoy...

                                Aaron

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2005
                                  I will stop emailing this document out folks. Herman handed these maps out
                                  to a group of us who took his free tour he gave about 6 years ago so I
                                  should not have assumed that this would be OK. If someone will contact him
                                  re: this and he gives the OK then I will glad to cooperate in anyway I can.

                                  Doug Jensen
                                • Steve
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 5, 2006
                                    Hi Group,

                                    My name is Steve Coffey and I just joined the group. I'm a big
                                    fan of the NCNGRR and have been envolved with for many years with
                                    the NCNGProject at the Fairgrounds and also the TMD museum many
                                    years ago. The link you have on this site (Community-webtv/ncng) is
                                    my personal web page that I set up for the NCNGProject. They now
                                    have their own web page at www.ncngproject.org, check it out! I
                                    read most of the postings to catch up and wanted to mention I have
                                    access to old state maps of the NCNG that note all the sidings with
                                    frog numbers and distances, where they were on the mainline, etc. I
                                    haven't looked at them in a long time but I'm pretty sure they
                                    mention the use of the sidings (ice house, lumber mill, etc), but if
                                    the info is out there, maybe we can compare notes and work out the
                                    info without copying Herman's map. He put a lot of work into them
                                    and hopefully will be willing to sell them to us. If I remember,
                                    it's from the early 1900s and may not be accurate if sidings were
                                    added in the 20s or 30s. They are too big to copy but I might be
                                    able to look up some info if it would help.

                                    I'm glad to find another large group of NCNG fans, Later, Steve

                                    --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Brown" <asmtrains@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Group,
                                    > I am wanting to design a plan for my future NCNG layout.
                                    >
                                    > I have both "NCNG" and "Tale of Two Cities......" books and am not
                                    > clear of what sidings there were (other than the one at the fair
                                    > grounds).
                                    >
                                    > Is there a map or listing of all the sidings including their
                                    location,
                                    > length, direction of departure and which side of the track they
                                    are?

                                    > Any help will be appreciated.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks a lot,
                                    > Randy Brown
                                    > Arrowhead Scale Models
                                    > P.O. Box 53
                                    > Randsburg, CA. 93554
                                    > Check out my E-Bay Store at:
                                    > http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

                                  • Kevin Miller
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 7, 2006
                                      Steve,

                                      Thank you for the new link to the club layout. I hope they decide to
                                      include a track plan some day.

                                      Concerning Herman Darr's siding drawings. I know he sells them
                                      because I bought a copy from him at least a year ago.

                                      Kevin Miller
                                      Winlock, WA