Bodie & Benton was NCNG Topo

  • Randy Hees
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      There is quite a bit out there on the B&B if you are willing to look.

      In addition to Billeb's book there are chapters on the line in Myrik's
      Railroads of Nevada & Eastern California and in Turner's Narrow Gauge
      Nostalgia, (now reprinted as California High Country Narrow Gauge.) One
      warning, don't trust the loco rosters in Turner's book, they are way
      off, but the loco roster in Myrik's is pretty good.

      There have recently been plans for some of the locos published in the
      Gazette, and there was a presentation on the line at last years V&T
      symposium. That presentation was particularly ground breaking,
      including information I had never seen on the logging side (two branches
      South of Mono Mills) and on a switch back branch in Bodie, running above
      the Standard Mill.

      I have also found information in various Poor's reports, particularly
      lists of cars (they had some Russell log cars)

      Randy Hees

      Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker wrote:

      >Rixk
      >
      >You have given us all a very valuable reference, and I thank you. What
      >caught my interest, and didn't open when I "clicked" on it, was the "ewntire
      >system" map of the Bodie Railway and Lumber Company. Not much out there at
      >all on that particular RR., mostly in Billeb's book.
      >
      >thanks, againa. JR

    • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        Randy,

        There were switchbacks toget from Mono to Bodie, alongside the hill a few
        miles outta town. But you mean switchbacks going elsewhere, like up to a
        mind or stamp mill?

        Well, if you don't have historical record, then you are free to miagine!

        thanks, JR

        From: Randy Hees <hees@...>
        Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 08:36:17 -0800
        To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: <NevadaCoNG> Bodie & Benton was NCNG Topo

        Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker wrote:

        >Rixk
        >
        >You have given us all a very valuable reference, and I thank you. What
        >caught my interest, and didn't open when I "clicked" on it, was the "ewntire
        >system" map of the Bodie Railway and Lumber Company. Not much out there at
        >all on that particular RR., mostly in Billeb's book.
        >
        >thanks, againa. JR

        Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check
        them out!

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Randy Hees
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          As noted the mainline (Mono Mills to Bodie via Lime Kiln) had switch
          backs between Lime Kiln and Bodie, but there was also a branch north of
          the Bodie depot, with a switch back, along the ridge above town. The
          line ran above the Standard Mill, along the ridge top.

          Randy Hees