Re: NCNG Topo

  • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      Rixk

      You have given us all a very valuable reference, and I thank you. What
      caught my interest, and didn't open when I "clicked" on it, was the "ewntire
      system" map of the Bodie Railway and Lumber Company. Not much out there at
      all on that particular RR., mostly in Billeb's book.

      thanks, againa. JR

      From: "rickmick47" <rickmick47@...>
      Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:43:52 -0000
      To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: <NevadaCoNG> NCNG Topo

      My site has part of a map from Gold Bug posted. Only the parts
      including the railroad are there. About 700K download.
      http://www.narrowgauge.net/ng_maps.htm

      -rick

      Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check
      them out!

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      web.

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Randy Hees
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        There is quite a bit out there on the B&B if you are willing to look.

        In addition to Billeb's book there are chapters on the line in Myrik's
        Railroads of Nevada & Eastern California and in Turner's Narrow Gauge
        Nostalgia, (now reprinted as California High Country Narrow Gauge.) One
        warning, don't trust the loco rosters in Turner's book, they are way
        off, but the loco roster in Myrik's is pretty good.

        There have recently been plans for some of the locos published in the
        Gazette, and there was a presentation on the line at last years V&T
        symposium. That presentation was particularly ground breaking,
        including information I had never seen on the logging side (two branches
        South of Mono Mills) and on a switch back branch in Bodie, running above
        the Standard Mill.

        I have also found information in various Poor's reports, particularly
        lists of cars (they had some Russell log cars)

        Randy Hees

        Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker wrote:

        >Rixk
        >
        >You have given us all a very valuable reference, and I thank you. What
        >caught my interest, and didn't open when I "clicked" on it, was the "ewntire
        >system" map of the Bodie Railway and Lumber Company. Not much out there at
        >all on that particular RR., mostly in Billeb's book.
        >
        >thanks, againa. JR

      • Joe & Jo Ellen Raymaker
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          Randy,

          There were switchbacks toget from Mono to Bodie, alongside the hill a few
          miles outta town. But you mean switchbacks going elsewhere, like up to a
          mind or stamp mill?

          Well, if you don't have historical record, then you are free to miagine!

          thanks, JR

          From: Randy Hees <hees@...>
          Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 08:36:17 -0800
          To: NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: <NevadaCoNG> Bodie & Benton was NCNG Topo

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            As noted the mainline (Mono Mills to Bodie via Lime Kiln) had switch
            backs between Lime Kiln and Bodie, but there was also a branch north of
            the Bodie depot, with a switch back, along the ridge above town. The
            line ran above the Standard Mill, along the ridge top.

            Randy Hees