Re: An introduction and some questions

  • Marie L Schwaegerl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 7:39 PM
      Hi Randy,

      Welcome to the group. I have been interested in the NCNGRR for a long
      time. I lived in Chicago Park for a long time and now live in Sacramento.
      I have both the books and both of them have maps of the NCNGRR, both of
      the Old line and the new line (1908), and where they come together. One
      thing to check out is the NCNGRR Project at the Nevada County fairgrounds
      - They have a working model of the railroad with all nine locomotives. My
      best friend has so much knowledge and is a member of this group - but, a
      little bit to busy right now - He is the chairman for the Grass Valley
      airfest. Oh, and he also is part of the NCNGRR and Transportation museum
      in Nevada City..

      I hope that I have helped you in some way.

      Thanks,
      Marie
    • Randy Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 12:16 PM
        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Splawn <aaronsplawn@y...> wrote:
        Hi Aaron,
        Thanks for the warm welcome.

        > Welcome Randy! I too am new to the group, but have modeled and
        collected NCNG stuff for a long time. I think you will discover that
        the NCNG has a lot to offer. Not only can you still capture mountain
        railroading with deep canyons and tall trestles, but you can also
        model numerous industries, along with city streets with victorian
        homes.

        **Sounds like the NCNG is right down my alley.

        > I model in Hon3 and would love to see some kits produced. Chicago
        Park station would be awesome... It's already been done in O scale,
        but I'm not aware of one in HO. The engine house in Nevada City
        would be another great, and simple kit.

        **I have sent to Underground Press for their plans listing. I will
        look at the various drawings and let you know if these projects are
        do-able.

        > As for maps, Herman Darr sketched out a set of maps a few years
        ago. They show the main line and the spurs in relation to todays
        roads. They're great for goin out and chasing the old right-of-way.

        **Great. These may also be available from Underground Press.

        > Hope this helps, Aaron

        **Good start.
        Any ideas on my other questions
        * What size rail was primarily used on the NCNG?
        * When did the nice herald with the track between the trees come into
        being?

        Thanks,

        Randy Brown
        Arrowhead Scale Models
        P.O. Box 53
        Randsburg, CA. 93554
        Check out my E-Bay Store at:
        http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

        > Randy Brown <asmtrains@j...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > Name's Randy Brown.
        >
        > I have been model railroading since 1964.
        SNIP
      • Randy Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 12:24 PM
          Hi Marie,
          I thank you, too, for the kind welcome.

          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Marie L Schwaegerl <marie2119@j...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Randy,
          >
          > Welcome to the group. I have been interested in the NCNGRR for a
          long time. I lived in Chicago Park for a long time and now live in
          Sacramento.
          > I have both the books and both of them have maps of the NCNGRR,
          both of the Old line and the new line (1908), and where they come
          together.

          **Great. I will definately buy both books (I love RR books) and look
          forward to reading about the history of the NCNG.

          > One thing to check out is the NCNGRR Project at the Nevada County
          fairgrounds - They have a working model of the railroad with all nine
          locomotives. My best friend has so much knowledge and is a member of
          this group - but, a little bit to busy right now - He is the chairman
          for the Grass Valley airfest. Oh, and he also is part of the NCNGRR
          and Transportation museum in Nevada City..

          **I have looked, breifly, at their web site and will study it more
          closely at a future date.

          > I hope that I have helped you in some way.
          **Good start.
          Do you have any idea as to my other two questions??

          Thanks a lot.