Re: An introduction and some questions

  • Aaron Splawn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      Welcome Randy! I too am new to the group, but have modeled and collected NCNG stuff for a long time. I think you will discover that the NCNG has a lot to offer. Not only can you still capture mountain railroading with deep canyons and tall trestles, but you can also model numerous industries, along with city streets with victorian homes.

      I model in Hon3 and would love to see some kits produced. Chicago Park station would be awesome... It's already been done in O scale, but I'm not aware of one in HO. The engine house in Nevada City would be another great, and simple kit.

      As for maps, Herman Darr sketched out a set of maps a few years ago. They show the main line and the spurs in relation to todays roads. They're great for goin out and chasing the old right-of-way.

      Hope this helps, Aaron

      Randy Brown <asmtrains@...> wrote:
      Hi all,
      Name's Randy Brown.

      I have been model railroading since 1964.

      I have owned two hobby shops through the years and now own and
      operate Arrowhead Scale Models (Narrow Gauge Gazette has been kind
      enough to review my O Scale "Eagle Talon" gas station (in their
      current issue).

      In the early '70's I had the privilege of hanging around The Little
      Depot, near Anaheim, CA., which was a Mecca of narrow gauge nuts like
      Paul Scoles and Lonnie Shay.

      I became hooked on NG and have never recovered.

      I have modeled in Z, N, HO and most narrow gauge scales except G.

      After seeing the YSL moduler layout at last year's NG convention, I
      finally decided to start an On30 home layout.

      I've always liked the RGS but I don't wish to model, what so many
      have (I do have most of the books on the subject though).
      I also like the SPNG and currently live about 3 miles from the "Jaw
      Bone Branch" (which was the standard gauge connection to the south).
      I like the SP equipment, but the scenery and operations (or lack of)
      don't make it (for me).
      I like to model trees and lots of them.

      A good friend suggested I look into the NCNG.
      I really like the country up there and will read some of the
      suggested books on the subject.

      I think I would model it as a "what if" railroad.
      One that weathered the lack of business during the war and made it
      into the fifties.
      Perhaps inherited some more of the SPNG equipment and maybe some from
      the D&RGW and RGS??

      Some preliminary questions I have are:
      * What size rail was primarily used on the NCNG?
      * How many miles of mainline did they build?
      * Do either of the books "NCNG" or "Tale of ..." have maps of the
      railroad?
      * When did the nice herald with the track between the trees come into
      being?

      BTW: Would there be any interest in my producing NCNG structures and
      cars?
      And if so, am I permitted to make announcements of my new products on
      this forum??

      Thanks for a great group,

      Randy Brown
      Arrowhead Scale Models
      P.O. Box 53
      Randsburg, CA. 93554
      (Yes, I live about 75 yards from the Randsburg Barber Shop that Paper
      Creek based their model on.....)
      Please, check out my E-Bay Store at:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

      Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check them out!

      ---------------------------------

    • Marie L Schwaegerl
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
        Hi Randy,

        Welcome to the group. I have been interested in the NCNGRR for a long
        time. I lived in Chicago Park for a long time and now live in Sacramento.
        I have both the books and both of them have maps of the NCNGRR, both of
        the Old line and the new line (1908), and where they come together. One
        thing to check out is the NCNGRR Project at the Nevada County fairgrounds
        - They have a working model of the railroad with all nine locomotives. My
        best friend has so much knowledge and is a member of this group - but, a
        little bit to busy right now - He is the chairman for the Grass Valley
        airfest. Oh, and he also is part of the NCNGRR and Transportation museum
        in Nevada City..

        I hope that I have helped you in some way.

        Thanks,
        Marie
      • Randy Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Splawn <aaronsplawn@y...> wrote:
          Hi Aaron,
          Thanks for the warm welcome.

          > Welcome Randy! I too am new to the group, but have modeled and
          collected NCNG stuff for a long time. I think you will discover that
          the NCNG has a lot to offer. Not only can you still capture mountain
          railroading with deep canyons and tall trestles, but you can also
          model numerous industries, along with city streets with victorian
          homes.

          **Sounds like the NCNG is right down my alley.

          > I model in Hon3 and would love to see some kits produced. Chicago
          Park station would be awesome... It's already been done in O scale,
          but I'm not aware of one in HO. The engine house in Nevada City
          would be another great, and simple kit.

          **I have sent to Underground Press for their plans listing. I will
          look at the various drawings and let you know if these projects are
          do-able.

          > As for maps, Herman Darr sketched out a set of maps a few years
          ago. They show the main line and the spurs in relation to todays
          roads. They're great for goin out and chasing the old right-of-way.

          **Great. These may also be available from Underground Press.

          > Hope this helps, Aaron

          **Good start.
          Any ideas on my other questions
          * What size rail was primarily used on the NCNG?
          * When did the nice herald with the track between the trees come into
          being?

          Thanks,

          Randy Brown
          Arrowhead Scale Models
          P.O. Box 53
          Randsburg, CA. 93554
          Check out my E-Bay Store at:
          http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

          > Randy Brown <asmtrains@j...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > Name's Randy Brown.
          >
          > I have been model railroading since 1964.
          SNIP
        • Randy Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hi Marie,
            I thank you, too, for the kind welcome.

            --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Marie L Schwaegerl <marie2119@j...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Randy,
            >
            > Welcome to the group. I have been interested in the NCNGRR for a
            long time. I lived in Chicago Park for a long time and now live in
            Sacramento.
            > I have both the books and both of them have maps of the NCNGRR,
            both of the Old line and the new line (1908), and where they come
            together.

            **Great. I will definately buy both books (I love RR books) and look
            forward to reading about the history of the NCNG.

            > One thing to check out is the NCNGRR Project at the Nevada County
            fairgrounds - They have a working model of the railroad with all nine
            locomotives. My best friend has so much knowledge and is a member of
            this group - but, a little bit to busy right now - He is the chairman
            for the Grass Valley airfest. Oh, and he also is part of the NCNGRR
            and Transportation museum in Nevada City..

            **I have looked, breifly, at their web site and will study it more
            closely at a future date.

            > I hope that I have helped you in some way.
            **Good start.
            Do you have any idea as to my other two questions??

            Thanks a lot.