Re: #9

  • vscavalli
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2005
      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "David Cooke" <matador@c...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have a closeup picture of the cab of # 9 I am trying to
      > define what the lettering is at the bottomn of the cab.

      -----------

      Hi, David.

      Cannot provide a complete answer to your question... most of my
      research material is still boxed-up from the move out to California.

      Using photos published in Gerald Best's "Nevada County Narrow Gauge"
      however, page 194 indicates the lettering, dated 1937, was "C40..."
      (personally, I think "C40 17x20" for Consoludation, 40" drivers,
      17x20 cyclinders) on the engineer's side. Page 133 has an excellent
      second example, fireman's side, of lettering (but definitely in a
      different style) being "C 4017" with the '17' superscripted.

      Other photos in Best's book seem to indicate other versions probably
      existed, pages 148 and 159 (blank fireman's side), too.

      Hope this starts you in the right direction.

      - Vic Cavalli