Re: Railroad Spur

  • wcwrr10
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2004
      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Jake <lovecal@y...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if there were any railroad spur's in
      > the Chicago Park area. My property near Talking Pines
      > Rd has an elevated area that seems like it may be from
      > the railroad. Any ideas?
      >
      > Tom

      Yeah, there's two spurs that I know of in that area... Near the old
      Colemans station across from Lakewood Ln. is where the new line & old
      line came together. Ken Yeo tells me there were scores of freight car
      trucks stored there in 1941 after the cars were burned for salvage in
      an area now under Rollins Lake. The New Mohawk Sawmill spur is still
      clearly visible just north of Metz Ranch Rd, There was also a
      turntable located across (approx) from Bear River Pines for the picnic
      train locos.

      As you know, the main line is very pronounced along Hwy. 174 thru that
      whole area before desending into Bierwagon's orchard and the C.P
      station... Tim