Re: Railroad Spur

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      Thanks Greg. Very interesting.

      --- EANDPNG@... wrote:

      > The junction of Talking Pines Rd and the RR grade is
      > the site of the Chicago
      > Park picnic grounds. There was no spur at that
      > location but a short distance
      > south of there was the Mohawk Lumber spur, diverging
      > at a point just south of
      > Lakewood Rd and running off to the northwest.
      > Colmans siding was just south of
      > there between Lakewood Rd and Metz Ranch Rd.
      > Hope this helps,
      > Greg Maxwell

      > removed]

      > --------------------~-->

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Marie L Schwaegerl
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
        Hi All,

        Yeah, there were spur tracks in the Chicago Park area, the picnic
        grounds, and the Mohawk lumber mill. I don't know if they are any others.

        Thanks,
        Marie
      • Jake
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
          Thanks Marie..

          That answers the question of why I have kind of a burm
          on my property.

          Tom Venz
          14621 Talking Pines

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
            In a message dated 10/4/2004 6:59:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            marie2119@... writes:
            Hi All,

            Yeah, there were spur tracks in the Chicago Park area, the picnic
            grounds, and the Mohawk lumber mill. I don't know if they are any others.

            Thanks,
            Marie
            Marie,
            I didn't have any data on a spur at the picnic grounds, was this prior to
            1912? I would be very interested in the source of this data. There was a siding
            at the old picnic grounds at Storm's ranch that became the Colmans siding,
            located between Lakewood Rd and Metz Ranch Rd. The California Railroad Commission
            maps for the line are very detailed and show no siding at the new picnic
            grounds. As far as the maps show there is nothing north of the Mohawk Lumber spur
            until you get to the turntable that was located about 50' south of Maple Rd.
            Again the closest to Talking Pines Rd would be the Mohawk Lumber spur that
            diverged from the main line just south of Lakewood Rd at about a 30 degree angle,
            running off to the northwest for 580 ft.
            Best regards,
            Greg Maxwell

          • Marie L Schwaegerl
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
              Hello Greg,

              I don't think that spur track was for the new picnic grounds after 1912.
              I would have to get in touch with my best friend about that because he
              would know about the spurs in the Chicago Park area. I lived on Lakewood
              Lane, So, I would like to know also if there were any spur tracks that
              went off.

              Thanks again,
              Marie
            • Lovecal
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
                The land at Talking pines has what looks like a spur on the
                property. Maybe it was used for something else. Thankyou all for
                your information.

                Tom Venz

                --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Marie L Schwaegerl <marie2119@j...>