Re: Railroad Spur

  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      The junction of Talking Pines Rd and the RR grade is the site of the Chicago
      Park picnic grounds. There was no spur at that location but a short distance
      south of there was the Mohawk Lumber spur, diverging at a point just south of
      Lakewood Rd and running off to the northwest. Colmans siding was just south of
      there between Lakewood Rd and Metz Ranch Rd.
      Hope this helps,
      Greg Maxwell

    • Jake
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
        Thanks Greg. Very interesting.

        --- EANDPNG@... wrote:

        > The junction of Talking Pines Rd and the RR grade is
        > the site of the Chicago
        > Park picnic grounds. There was no spur at that
        > location but a short distance
        > south of there was the Mohawk Lumber spur, diverging
        > at a point just south of
        > Lakewood Rd and running off to the northwest.
        > Colmans siding was just south of
        > there between Lakewood Rd and Metz Ranch Rd.
        > Hope this helps,
        > Greg Maxwell

        > removed]

        > --------------------~-->

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Marie L Schwaegerl
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hi All,

          Yeah, there were spur tracks in the Chicago Park area, the picnic
          grounds, and the Mohawk lumber mill. I don't know if they are any others.

          Thanks,
          Marie
        • Jake
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
            Thanks Marie..

            That answers the question of why I have kind of a burm
            on my property.

            Tom Venz
            14621 Talking Pines

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
              In a message dated 10/4/2004 6:59:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              marie2119@... writes:
              Hi All,

              Yeah, there were spur tracks in the Chicago Park area, the picnic
              grounds, and the Mohawk lumber mill. I don't know if they are any others.

              Thanks,
              Marie
              Marie,
              I didn't have any data on a spur at the picnic grounds, was this prior to
              1912? I would be very interested in the source of this data. There was a siding
              at the old picnic grounds at Storm's ranch that became the Colmans siding,
              located between Lakewood Rd and Metz Ranch Rd. The California Railroad Commission
              maps for the line are very detailed and show no siding at the new picnic
              grounds. As far as the maps show there is nothing north of the Mohawk Lumber spur
              until you get to the turntable that was located about 50' south of Maple Rd.
              Again the closest to Talking Pines Rd would be the Mohawk Lumber spur that
              diverged from the main line just south of Lakewood Rd at about a 30 degree angle,
              running off to the northwest for 580 ft.
              Best regards,
              Greg Maxwell

            • Marie L Schwaegerl
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
                Hello Greg,

                I don't think that spur track was for the new picnic grounds after 1912.
                I would have to get in touch with my best friend about that because he
                would know about the spurs in the Chicago Park area. I lived on Lakewood
                Lane, So, I would like to know also if there were any spur tracks that
                went off.

                Thanks again,
                Marie
              • Lovecal
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
                  The land at Talking pines has what looks like a spur on the
                  property. Maybe it was used for something else. Thankyou all for
                  your information.

                  Tom Venz

                  --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Marie L Schwaegerl <marie2119@j...>