Railroad Spur

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2004
      I was wondering if there were any railroad spur's in
      the Chicago Park area. My property near Talking Pines
      Rd has an elevated area that seems like it may be from
      the railroad. Any ideas?

      Tom

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • wcwrr10
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2004
        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Jake <lovecal@y...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if there were any railroad spur's in
        > the Chicago Park area. My property near Talking Pines
        > Rd has an elevated area that seems like it may be from
        > the railroad. Any ideas?
        >
        > Tom

        Yeah, there's two spurs that I know of in that area... Near the old
        Colemans station across from Lakewood Ln. is where the new line & old
        line came together. Ken Yeo tells me there were scores of freight car
        trucks stored there in 1941 after the cars were burned for salvage in
        an area now under Rollins Lake. The New Mohawk Sawmill spur is still
        clearly visible just north of Metz Ranch Rd, There was also a
        turntable located across (approx) from Bear River Pines for the picnic
        train locos.

        As you know, the main line is very pronounced along Hwy. 174 thru that
        whole area before desending into Bierwagon's orchard and the C.P
        station... Tim