Narrow Gauge engine...?

  • Pat Rylance
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15 8:13 AM
      Hi Folks,
      In the event that I can urge the City Council and/or the RR Museum
      committee to include the NCNG RR as a part of the historical museum
      for Colfax, does anyone know of a possible Narrow Gauge Engine
      available anywhere that could possibly be purchased. I realize after
      viewing some of the photos & files here that ones that ran on these
      tracks are not
      available as most have been scrapped, but there might be other small
      engines somewhere that could be purchased. It would be symbolic is
      nothing else. Believe it or not, there is still some track shown in
      spots along our road near the crossing.......rather or not that could
      be recovered and used.......I don't know.

      Is there a NCNG active committee that you would know of. If there is,
      I think they should have a voice in this. I would be willing to be a
      spokesperson for them for the Colfax council/committees.

      I could probably search the net, but thought I would pass this by the
      group for any member input.

      Awaiting further comment.......
      Pat
    • gauge18rr
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19 6:07 PM
        Hi Pat,

        > Is there a NCNG active committee that you would know of.

        Is there ever! Just up the road a bit. Check this out.
        http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/index.htm
        I think a small display at Colfax along I-80 makes much sense, and
        perhaps the current NCNG museum would participate (contribute a photo
        display?). However, they have invested many years and gallons of
        sweat to get their set-up going as it is. Now, if you could secure a
        good mile or three of NCNG right-of way from a convenient station
        location in Colfax, I think you would be having much to discuss with
        these folks. I am not certain, but it may be difficult to lay much
        more track where they are located presently. Several museums operate
        with dual locations, it might be possible with this one if it has the
        manpower (not right now, obviously). An operating steam locomotive
        will definitely help to create the interest in the public and
        volunteers, but as you found, they are not easy to come by. The
        Kahului locomotive is apparently a fine engine, and while not cheap,
        is worth the price.

        Best,
        O. Anderson