Re: Colfax RR display

  • Marie L Schwaegerl
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
      Hi Group,

      I think that the Museum in Colfax is a good idea. It's a good idea to
      show the history of the Narrow Gauge but to tell of the history of Colfax
      how it was founded and who it was named after. I am not really sure where
      the museum would be located but, have a few thoughts. Not really sure on
      what displays it would carry in regards to the Narrow Gauge. I think if
      there are any photos of the fruit packing sheds in Colfax and or Chicago
      Park that should be appropriate as there were many fruit packing sheds
      there. There also should be a then and now photo section on the wall,
      with maps of the line and the yards. Any thoughts on this idea or any
      other displays for the Museum. It would be a good way to educate the
      visitors and of course the residents of Colfax, to show them the history
      of the Nevada County Narrow Gauge. That's the main purpose of a museum is
      to educate people about history. There is the Nevada County Narrow Gauge
      Museum in Nevada City which just opened up. There is so much wonderful
      displays of rolling stock and artifacts, such as NCNGRR Engine #5 which
      has been beautifully cosmetically restored. I could talk to my best
      friend who is fully involved with the Museum in Nevada City and
      researches the NCNGRR about what should be going in a museum in Colfax.

      Marie
    • Pat Rylance
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
        Hi Marie,
        Thank you for your excellent ideas and thoughts.
        When I learned about the Colfax museum, which was only going to
        represent the Central, Southern and Union Pacific RR lines, plus the
        fact that they were going to close our crossing on Narrow Gauge Rd, I
        knew I had to get involved. That was only a few days before the 7/27
        meeting. I do not recall reading anything about the museum in the
        Colfax Record or Auburn Journal prior to that. With such short time
        involved I had to research on-line anything and everything I could
        about it and that was eventually how I found this group, which I am so
        thankful for.
        One day soon I would love to visit the Nevada City NG museum and any
        other places that involve NCNG RR. Any suggestion anyone has that
        want their concerns discussed, I will certainly bring them up at
        meetings for those who can be there to represent their own views.
        Somewhere down the road I think there will have to be a separate NCNG
        committee to make sure our concerns our addressed and met. I thought
        there already was one, but evidently not, other than this group.
        At any rate, this is only the beginning, but the NG concern has been
        addressed and this concern is not likely to go away........not if I
        have anything to do with it. This little road we travel daily has
        always been very special to me & my family. In fact there is a pond
        in front of my house that a right of way for water is written in the
        deed for the Narrow Gauge RR. This road is always a discussion when
        family & friends get together. This history here & in NC cannot be
        allowed to just fade away. With all your support and involvment it
        never will.
        Thanks everyone.
        Pat