Re: Fw: Colfax RR display

  • Pat Rylance
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
      Hi Harry, thanks soooooooo much for your responses to
      my concerns. As you can see at:
      http://www.psrhs.org/Newsletter.htm under
      announcements, what the psrhs and City are planning.
      I am all for this except for closing the Dinky
      Crossing. I would very much like to see the History
      of the Narrow Gauge involved in this to include a plac
      or or historical visitor center with many photos and
      historical information about the Narrow Gauge. There
      is much more to be said, but will save for later.
      If you purchase a tape of the last meeting (7/27) you
      will understand what their intentions are. They are
      still pursuing the closure of the crossing.
      I am in full support of what they are doing except for
      the closure.
      Sincerely
      Pat Rylance
      530-346-7120

      --- Harry Marnell <marnell@...> wrote:

      > http://www.psrhs.org/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Harry Marnell
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
        You're welcome, Pat

        I'm wondering about any local ordinances, state laws or court decisions
        that address existing private roads. Can a city simply "take" a
        long-established private road by ordinance, especially if it's for the
        use of a non-public entity? (Like the City of L.A. did with entire
        neighborhoods for Walter O'Malley in the 1950's). Blocking access by
        emergency vehicles, or egress by residents in the event of a fire, for
        instance could create a danger.

        Have you made contact with the PSRHS people directly about your
        concerns?

        Seems there should be a lawyer in the house who can address this. Any
        opinions/info, please cc: replies to NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com

        Harry

        > Hi Harry, thanks soooooooo much for your responses to
        > my concerns. As you can see at:
        > http://www.psrhs.org/Newsletter.htm under
        > announcements, what the psrhs and City are planning.
        > I am all for this except for closing the Dinky
        > Crossing. I would very much like to see the History
        > of the Narrow Gauge involved in this to include a plac
        > or or historical visitor center with many photos and
        > historical information about the Narrow Gauge. There
        > is much more to be said, but will save for later.
        > If you purchase a tape of the last meeting (7/27) you
        > will understand what their intentions are. They are
        > still pursuing the closure of the crossing.
        > I am in full support of what they are doing except for
        > the closure.
        > Sincerely
        > Pat Rylance
        > 530-346-7120
      • Pat Rylance
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
          At the time I went to the 7/27 meeting, I was unaware of who was on
          what committee or what committee(s) were even involved. What concerns
          me is that that are NOT acknowledging the Narrow Gauge Rd at
          all....even after I addressed the council on my conerns. I left the
          meeting when they went to the next matter which was the
          museum/restoration issue. When viewing the tape of that meeting, it
          was as though I was never there and they were still discussing the
          closing of the crossing. Needless to say.....I am not happy about
          this at all and I will be to the meeting tonight. The Narrow Gauge RR
          Road is very much appart of what they are attempting to do and it is a
          MUST that they include the Narrow Gauge. I am not likely to be ignored!

          I am concerned about the way they have addressed this issue in the
          committees and just went to the council on 7/27 to make a resolution
          to finalize it w/o addressing these issue with public imput. There
          could be a violation of the Brown Act here to some extent, but I need
          time to do more research on the issue. Time is what I don't have
          right now.
          According to the photos in your files on this group I can see that
          crossing clear back to 1883. I would think it would be grandfathered
          in or an existing right of way at that spot, again......I need more
          time to research this. The fire near us has been very stressing for
          the past 3 days. It started on Steven's Trail straight across from
          our house.....across I-80. Placer Co records should show some right
          of way in the deeds, but I don't have time before the meeting tonight
          to research it. Time is definitely NOT on my side right now......but
          my voice in this issue WILL BE!

          Any HELP will be appreciated........even an additional voice at the
          meeting.
          Sincerely
          Pat

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
            I am surprised that Pat has made no mention of the NCNGRR Museum in
            Nevada City (http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/index.htm). While I support
            her objectives, I think the NG is well covered from that end of the
            line. A museum at Colfax, however, is a great idea, given the history
            of the CP, SP and now UP to the town. The NCNG operations at Colfax and
            Oilville would certainly have a place there as well.

            Doug Stuard

            Reston, VA

            Hi Harry, thanks soooooooo much for your responses to
            my concerns. As you can see at:
            http://www.psrhs.org/Newsletter.htm under
            announcements, what the psrhs and City are planning.
            I am all for this except for closing the Dinky
            Crossing. I would very much like to see the History
            of the Narrow Gauge involved in this to include a plac
            or or historical visitor center with many photos and
            historical information about the Narrow Gauge. There
            is much more to be said, but will save for later.
            If you purchase a tape of the last meeting (7/27) you
            will understand what their intentions are. They are
            still pursuing the closure of the crossing.
            I am in full support of what they are doing except for
            the closure.
            Sincerely
            Pat Rylance
            530-346-7120

            --- Harry Marnell <marnell@...> wrote:

            > http://www.psrhs.org/

            Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
            Check them out!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129el7628/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1092244027/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*htt
            p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2164330/rand=226516604>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Pat Rylance
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
              Hi Doug,
              Last night I mentioned the NCNG RR museum project committee and that I
              had contacted some of the members, that they thought it was a good
              idea to have the NCNG RR represented on the Colfax side and to keep
              them informed. I also addressed the fact that I was all for the
              Colfax RR museum, but not at the expense of closing our crossing.
              Also, that I would help in whatever I could regarding anything to do
              with the NCNG at our end......be it a plac, visitor site or whatever.
              I also expressed concerns of other property owners regarding the fire
              danger we go through every year, bringing up the present fire in our
              area just across I-80 from my home.....that to bring large equip or
              fire trucks down Dinky or Foresthill would be all but impossible. The
              only way is to cross the tracks at Dinky from the Colfax side. They
              assured me there will be many more meeting and open discussion on the
              museum and crossing issue, and the public input would be required.
              Everything went well, and I hope to be very vocal at the meetings
              about making sure the NCNG is somewhat a part of the plan.
              I want to thank everyone for their valuable comments and concern
              regarding this matter and my immediate concern.
              I did not even know this group existed, even though I have 4
              yahoogroups of my own on other subjects. I am grateful to have found
              it and especially to be a part of it.
              Again.........THANK YOU EVERYONE!
              Pat