Fw: Colfax RR display

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2004
      http://www.psrhs.org/

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: "Jim Wood" <jwoodgeo@...>
      To: <marnell@...>
      Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 23:32
      Subject: Colfax RR display

      Hi Harry,
      We were interested to hear of your inquiry about a possible RR museum in
      Colfax.

      There is a possibility that our group may begin a restoration effort in
      Colfax in the future. There are some important obstacles to overcome
      first. One, we need to get an official endorsement by the City of
      Colfax to give us a space to conduct a restoration and display effort,
      and second, we need to find appropriate and historically significant
      pieces of rolling stock to bring to Colfax to work on. The first item
      may be resolved this Tuesday night at the Colfax City Council meeting.
      As to the second issue, we haven't yet identified any pieces to look at
      to acquire. As to the Golden Gate RR Museum, we have not approached
      that group for any particular pieces in their collection. We had been
      considering a Pullman sleeper in their yard that actually belongs to the
      Cal. St RR Museum but we've decided to pass on it for the time being.
      If you know of any available equipment, let us know.

      Best Regards,
      Jim Wood
      VP-Placer Sierra Railroad Heritage Society, Colfax.
    • Pat Rylance
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
        Hi Harry, thanks soooooooo much for your responses to
        my concerns. As you can see at:
        http://www.psrhs.org/Newsletter.htm under
        announcements, what the psrhs and City are planning.
        I am all for this except for closing the Dinky
        Crossing. I would very much like to see the History
        of the Narrow Gauge involved in this to include a plac
        or or historical visitor center with many photos and
        historical information about the Narrow Gauge. There
        is much more to be said, but will save for later.
        If you purchase a tape of the last meeting (7/27) you
        will understand what their intentions are. They are
        still pursuing the closure of the crossing.
        I am in full support of what they are doing except for
        the closure.
        Sincerely
        Pat Rylance
        530-346-7120

        --- Harry Marnell <marnell@...> wrote:

        > http://www.psrhs.org/

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Harry Marnell
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
          You're welcome, Pat

          I'm wondering about any local ordinances, state laws or court decisions
          that address existing private roads. Can a city simply "take" a
          long-established private road by ordinance, especially if it's for the
          use of a non-public entity? (Like the City of L.A. did with entire
          neighborhoods for Walter O'Malley in the 1950's). Blocking access by
          emergency vehicles, or egress by residents in the event of a fire, for
          instance could create a danger.

          Have you made contact with the PSRHS people directly about your
          concerns?

          Seems there should be a lawyer in the house who can address this. Any
          opinions/info, please cc: replies to NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com

          Harry

          > Hi Harry, thanks soooooooo much for your responses to
          > my concerns. As you can see at:
          > http://www.psrhs.org/Newsletter.htm under
          > announcements, what the psrhs and City are planning.
          > I am all for this except for closing the Dinky
          > Crossing. I would very much like to see the History
          > of the Narrow Gauge involved in this to include a plac
          > or or historical visitor center with many photos and
          > historical information about the Narrow Gauge. There
          > is much more to be said, but will save for later.
          > If you purchase a tape of the last meeting (7/27) you
          > will understand what their intentions are. They are
          > still pursuing the closure of the crossing.
          > I am in full support of what they are doing except for
          > the closure.
          > Sincerely
          > Pat Rylance
          > 530-346-7120
        • Pat Rylance
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
            At the time I went to the 7/27 meeting, I was unaware of who was on
            what committee or what committee(s) were even involved. What concerns
            me is that that are NOT acknowledging the Narrow Gauge Rd at
            all....even after I addressed the council on my conerns. I left the
            meeting when they went to the next matter which was the
            museum/restoration issue. When viewing the tape of that meeting, it
            was as though I was never there and they were still discussing the
            closing of the crossing. Needless to say.....I am not happy about
            this at all and I will be to the meeting tonight. The Narrow Gauge RR
            Road is very much appart of what they are attempting to do and it is a
            MUST that they include the Narrow Gauge. I am not likely to be ignored!

            I am concerned about the way they have addressed this issue in the
            committees and just went to the council on 7/27 to make a resolution
            to finalize it w/o addressing these issue with public imput. There
            could be a violation of the Brown Act here to some extent, but I need
            time to do more research on the issue. Time is what I don't have
            right now.
            According to the photos in your files on this group I can see that
            crossing clear back to 1883. I would think it would be grandfathered
            in or an existing right of way at that spot, again......I need more
            time to research this. The fire near us has been very stressing for
            the past 3 days. It started on Steven's Trail straight across from
            our house.....across I-80. Placer Co records should show some right
            of way in the deeds, but I don't have time before the meeting tonight
            to research it. Time is definitely NOT on my side right now......but
            my voice in this issue WILL BE!

            Any HELP will be appreciated........even an additional voice at the
            meeting.
            Sincerely
            Pat

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2004
              I am surprised that Pat has made no mention of the NCNGRR Museum in
              Nevada City (http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/index.htm). While I support
              her objectives, I think the NG is well covered from that end of the
              line. A museum at Colfax, however, is a great idea, given the history
              of the CP, SP and now UP to the town. The NCNG operations at Colfax and
              Oilville would certainly have a place there as well.

              Doug Stuard

              Reston, VA

              Hi Harry, thanks soooooooo much for your responses to
              my concerns. As you can see at:
              http://www.psrhs.org/Newsletter.htm under
              announcements, what the psrhs and City are planning.
              I am all for this except for closing the Dinky
              Crossing. I would very much like to see the History
              of the Narrow Gauge involved in this to include a plac
              or or historical visitor center with many photos and
              historical information about the Narrow Gauge. There
              is much more to be said, but will save for later.
              If you purchase a tape of the last meeting (7/27) you
              will understand what their intentions are. They are
              still pursuing the closure of the crossing.
              I am in full support of what they are doing except for
              the closure.
              Sincerely
              Pat Rylance
              530-346-7120

              --- Harry Marnell <marnell@...> wrote:

              > http://www.psrhs.org/

              Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
              Check them out!

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129el7628/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
              D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1092244027/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*htt
              p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
              s/S=:HM/A=2164330/rand=226516604>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Pat Rylance
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2004
                Hi Doug,
                Last night I mentioned the NCNG RR museum project committee and that I
                had contacted some of the members, that they thought it was a good
                idea to have the NCNG RR represented on the Colfax side and to keep
                them informed. I also addressed the fact that I was all for the
                Colfax RR museum, but not at the expense of closing our crossing.
                Also, that I would help in whatever I could regarding anything to do
                with the NCNG at our end......be it a plac, visitor site or whatever.
                I also expressed concerns of other property owners regarding the fire
                danger we go through every year, bringing up the present fire in our
                area just across I-80 from my home.....that to bring large equip or
                fire trucks down Dinky or Foresthill would be all but impossible. The
                only way is to cross the tracks at Dinky from the Colfax side. They
                assured me there will be many more meeting and open discussion on the
                museum and crossing issue, and the public input would be required.
                Everything went well, and I hope to be very vocal at the meetings
                about making sure the NCNG is somewhat a part of the plan.
                I want to thank everyone for their valuable comments and concern
                regarding this matter and my immediate concern.
                I did not even know this group existed, even though I have 4
                yahoogroups of my own on other subjects. I am grateful to have found
                it and especially to be a part of it.
                Again.........THANK YOU EVERYONE!
                Pat