RE: Included in Any Future Book

  • John Teall
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2004
      --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
      > I couldn't agree more!
      >

      > I have Best's and Browne's books (as I'm sure many
      > of us have). They
      > are great resources, but for those who want to "walk
      > the walk" after 62
      > years, the route is kinda hard to find (especially
      > from the East
      > Coast!). A Milepost by milepost study would be
      > GREAT!, particularly
      > indicating where spurs and lineside industries were
      > located (for
      > example, it took Browne's book and a couple of
      > online contacts to figure
      > out how Oilville was set up, and as far as I can
      > figure, it is now under
      > I-80). Drawings! Maps!
      >

      > (Sorry if I'm slobbering, but the NCNG deserves such
      > a study).
      >

      > Doug Stuard
      >
      > Reston, VA
      >
      > dstuard@[nospam]comcast.net

      when i was growing up in colfax, before rollins dam
      was built, the old narrow gauge right of way was quite
      obvious and easy to fallow.

      the standard oil spur which was served by both the
      standard gauge southern pacific from one end and the
      ncng from the other (no dual gauge switch required
      that way) was located directly under what was then the
      old highway 40, before freeway 80 was built, colfax
      overhead. this bridge is still there and very much
      still in service. though the road over the top of it
      is now called part of the road to grass valley and or
      rollins lake, high way 40 used to go streight at shady
      glen where you turned off and still do to go to grass
      valley. even the year i graduated highschool the
      standard gauge spur, the standard oil mini warehouse
      and storage tanks were still in service. and trucks
      used the road that had been where the narrow gauge
      track had been. there were also some of the concrete
      ring wall of the turntable pit still there. this road
      that was the narrow gauge becomes a private driveway
      past the pair of stone collums beside it. the people
      who first built the house it leads to i went to
      highschool with. well byond their house it does
      indeed intersect or rather cross in a mianderly
      fassion the course of the freeway a couple of times
      but this is well passed oildale which at least toward
      the end and by all indication of any and all maps i've
      seen, including maps of the sp's yard in colfax going
      back to the first windey alighnment of the stndard
      gauge, that used to be kept in the back desk in the
      office in the depot in colfax where i spent
      unofficialy spent many many an afternood while my dad
      coppied train orders and sold tickets and freight (he
      was shorty teall, telegrapher at colfax for many years
      during the time tommy custer was chief dispatcher).
      many of bill hardge's locomotive opperators manuals
      were also stored in the drawers of that desk and i
      spent many fine hourse reading and day dreaming about
      them as well.

      ken yeo is as far as i know the closet thing to a
      living authority on any and all of that, so where his
      recolections diverge from mine fallow his. since he
      was actualy there to see the track being pulled up in
      42 and i wasn't born until 48. (and the track itself
      was of course long gone the first of many times i did
      none the less trek what remained of the right of way
      on the colfax side of the bear river, though i never
      did get to see much of the nevada county side of it,
      other then that the shops and the kidder mansion were
      still standing in grass valley)

      =^^=
      .../\...

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129nqd9s1/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr