Included in Any Future Book

  • vscavalli
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28 2:06 PM
      Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but I would really
      appreciate a mile-by-mile description/layout of the entire NCNG
      route. That is, every yard, siding, and spur; each line side
      building, business, and customer. By example, how "Pacific Coast
      Railway, Central California's Premier Narrow Gauge" was done.

      Sundance Publications Limited has successfully used this format for
      many of their Then/Now books. I think it could really enhance a
      pictorial-based book, too.

      Just my thoughts,

      - Vic
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 4:50 PM
        I couldn't agree more!

        I have Best's and Browne's books (as I'm sure many of us have). They
        are great resources, but for those who want to "walk the walk" after 62
        years, the route is kinda hard to find (especially from the East
        Coast!). A Milepost by milepost study would be GREAT!, particularly
        indicating where spurs and lineside industries were located (for
        example, it took Browne's book and a couple of online contacts to figure
        out how Oilville was set up, and as far as I can figure, it is now under
        I-80). Drawings! Maps!

        (Sorry if I'm slobbering, but the NCNG deserves such a study).

        Doug Stuard

        Reston, VA

        dstuard@[nospam]comcast.net

        Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but I would really
        appreciate a mile-by-mile description/layout of the entire NCNG
        route. That is, every yard, siding, and spur; each line side
        building, business, and customer. By example, how "Pacific Coast
        Railway, Central California's Premier Narrow Gauge" was done.

        Sundance Publications Limited has successfully used this format for
        many of their Then/Now books. I think it could really enhance a
        pictorial-based book, too.

        Just my thoughts,

        - Vic

        Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
        Check them out!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129nqd9s1/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1085865234/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:/c
        ompanion.yahoo.com> click here

        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=132929532>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Teall
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29 11:13 PM
          --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
          > I couldn't agree more!
          >

          > I have Best's and Browne's books (as I'm sure many
          > of us have). They
          > are great resources, but for those who want to "walk
          > the walk" after 62
          > years, the route is kinda hard to find (especially
          > from the East
          > Coast!). A Milepost by milepost study would be
          > GREAT!, particularly
          > indicating where spurs and lineside industries were
          > located (for
          > example, it took Browne's book and a couple of
          > online contacts to figure
          > out how Oilville was set up, and as far as I can
          > figure, it is now under
          > I-80). Drawings! Maps!
          >

          > (Sorry if I'm slobbering, but the NCNG deserves such
          > a study).
          >

          > Doug Stuard
          >
          > Reston, VA
          >
          > dstuard@[nospam]comcast.net

          when i was growing up in colfax, before rollins dam
          was built, the old narrow gauge right of way was quite
          obvious and easy to fallow.

          the standard oil spur which was served by both the
          standard gauge southern pacific from one end and the
          ncng from the other (no dual gauge switch required
          that way) was located directly under what was then the
          old highway 40, before freeway 80 was built, colfax
          overhead. this bridge is still there and very much
          still in service. though the road over the top of it
          is now called part of the road to grass valley and or
          rollins lake, high way 40 used to go streight at shady
          glen where you turned off and still do to go to grass
          valley. even the year i graduated highschool the
          standard gauge spur, the standard oil mini warehouse
          and storage tanks were still in service. and trucks
          used the road that had been where the narrow gauge
          track had been. there were also some of the concrete
          ring wall of the turntable pit still there. this road
          that was the narrow gauge becomes a private driveway
          past the pair of stone collums beside it. the people
          who first built the house it leads to i went to
          highschool with. well byond their house it does
          indeed intersect or rather cross in a mianderly
          fassion the course of the freeway a couple of times
          but this is well passed oildale which at least toward
          the end and by all indication of any and all maps i've
          seen, including maps of the sp's yard in colfax going
          back to the first windey alighnment of the stndard
          gauge, that used to be kept in the back desk in the
          office in the depot in colfax where i spent
          unofficialy spent many many an afternood while my dad
          coppied train orders and sold tickets and freight (he
          was shorty teall, telegrapher at colfax for many years
          during the time tommy custer was chief dispatcher).
          many of bill hardge's locomotive opperators manuals
          were also stored in the drawers of that desk and i
          spent many fine hourse reading and day dreaming about
          them as well.

          ken yeo is as far as i know the closet thing to a
          living authority on any and all of that, so where his
          recolections diverge from mine fallow his. since he
          was actualy there to see the track being pulled up in
          42 and i wasn't born until 48. (and the track itself
          was of course long gone the first of many times i did
          none the less trek what remained of the right of way
          on the colfax side of the bear river, though i never
          did get to see much of the nevada county side of it,
          other then that the shops and the kidder mansion were
          still standing in grass valley)

          =^^=
          .../\...

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM