Re: NCNGRR Book Ideas

  • MJ
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27 8:13 PM
      Marie,

      I've researched the history of the four tank cars that went from the NCNGRR to
      the WP&YR in 1942. If you would like to use this information in your book,
      contact me off list.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 4 , May 27 8:55 PM
        Marie,

        I am currently working on a pictorial study of the railroad. I had planned
        to do a little then and now section at the end of the book. I'll leave that
        part for your book, it might be better off that way.

        I usually show up around the TMD on Saturdays, I'm the younger guy, the guys
        all know me. If you'd like to talk about our books some time track me down
        when you're there.

        -Andrew-

        > I am taking on a huge but fun project, I am going to write a book about
        > the Narrow Gauge and I have been thinking about some ideas that I can
        > discuss in my book. There will be of course the history of the railroad
        > but, the main emphasis of the book will be the then and now - and a
        > discussion about the TMD, the museum, and Engine No. 5. I also am friends
        > with Tim O'Brien who will help me illustrate it, and offer me advice
        > also. I am writing to the whole group to see what ideas that you can help
        > me with. The ideas that I get from the group, Tim, and the ideas that I
        > have will help me to write my book.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Marie

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • markiecook1947
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2004
          May I suggest interviewing past employees? Tough to find, but I'm
          sure there are a few left out there. I have a video of the Yosemite
          Valley Railroad that includes several ex employees telling highly
          interesting and very humorous stories of the road's operations that
          one would rarely find in a "fact and date" type book. I have
          hundreds of volumes of SP related publications, but ex employee Dick
          Murdoch's little books give life to the history.
          Also, one could interview local people who rode the train in their
          youth. I have modeled the Sacramento Northern for years, and only
          this last Sunday discovered that my 89 year old mother had ridden it
          from Sacramento to Colusa several times as a kid. Once her memory
          was triggered, she was a wealth of anecdotal information.