NCNGRR Book Ideas

  • Marie L Schwaegerl
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2004
      Hi Group,

      I am taking on a huge but fun project, I am going to write a book about
      the Narrow Gauge and I have been thinking about some ideas that I can
      discuss in my book. There will be of course the history of the railroad
      but, the main emphasis of the book will be the then and now - and a
      discussion about the TMD, the museum, and Engine No. 5. I also am friends
      with Tim O'Brien who will help me illustrate it, and offer me advice
      also. I am writing to the whole group to see what ideas that you can help
      me with. The ideas that I get from the group, Tim, and the ideas that I
      have will help me to write my book.

      Thanks,
      Marie

    • MJ
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2004
        Marie,

        I've researched the history of the four tank cars that went from the NCNGRR to
        the WP&YR in 1942. If you would like to use this information in your book,
        contact me off list.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2004
          Marie,

          I am currently working on a pictorial study of the railroad. I had planned
          to do a little then and now section at the end of the book. I'll leave that
          part for your book, it might be better off that way.

          I usually show up around the TMD on Saturdays, I'm the younger guy, the guys
          all know me. If you'd like to talk about our books some time track me down
          when you're there.

          -Andrew-

          > I am taking on a huge but fun project, I am going to write a book about
          > the Narrow Gauge and I have been thinking about some ideas that I can
          > discuss in my book. There will be of course the history of the railroad
          > but, the main emphasis of the book will be the then and now - and a
          > discussion about the TMD, the museum, and Engine No. 5. I also am friends
          > with Tim O'Brien who will help me illustrate it, and offer me advice
          > also. I am writing to the whole group to see what ideas that you can help
          > me with. The ideas that I get from the group, Tim, and the ideas that I
          > have will help me to write my book.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Marie

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • markiecook1947
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2004
            May I suggest interviewing past employees? Tough to find, but I'm
            sure there are a few left out there. I have a video of the Yosemite
            Valley Railroad that includes several ex employees telling highly
            interesting and very humorous stories of the road's operations that
            one would rarely find in a "fact and date" type book. I have
            hundreds of volumes of SP related publications, but ex employee Dick
            Murdoch's little books give life to the history.
            Also, one could interview local people who rode the train in their
            youth. I have modeled the Sacramento Northern for years, and only
            this last Sunday discovered that my 89 year old mother had ridden it
            from Sacramento to Colusa several times as a kid. Once her memory
            was triggered, she was a wealth of anecdotal information.