Re: NCNG locomotives and plans

  • Jim Vail
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
      SpencerNoe@... wrote:

      >Hi,
      >Does anybody know if NCNG #5 and #8 were ever produced in On3 brass? Additionally, are there any plans availible for the NCNG boxcars and flatcars? I would like to scratchbuild a few of these in both On3 and Sn3.
      >
      >thanks,
      >Spencer Noe

      Herman Darr has done plans for most all of the NCNG freight equipment.
      Plans are available directly from him, or most likely Coronado Scale
      Models or Underground Railway Press.

      Jim Vail
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
        Greg,

        The note about the cars being 25' long came from a dimensional scaling of
        the actual cars as built by Herman Darr.
        It may not be correct, but personally I haven't measured for myself.
        Apparently Herman concluded that they were originally 25' before the book
        came out (through measurement) but it fell on deaf ears.

        I suppose the best way to check would be to do some measurements on our own
        to check.

        -Andrew-

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
          <<Greg,

          The note about the cars being 25' long came from a dimensional scaling of
          the actual cars as built by Herman Darr.
          It may not be correct, but personally I haven't measured for myself.
          Apparently Herman concluded that they were originally 25' before the book
          came out (through measurement) but it fell on deaf ears.

          I suppose the best way to check would be to do some measurements on our own
          to check.

          -Andrew->>

          Andrew,
          As you are aware you nor I nor Herman or anybody else can measure these cars
          as none of these cars have existed "as built" for probably a 100 years. As far
          as I know the data Herman and Bruce used was scaled from photos and that this
          is not an exact science. Herman is very good but Herman himself will tell you
          that the NCNG replica caboose at the museum, built to dimensions supplied by
          him is at least a foot too long. I know for a fact that Herman's drawing of
          the E&P stock car is a foot or so too long when compared to the stock car sides
          found (and measured) near Union Pass in Eureka County. Herman may be right
          about this I don't know. I know that Bruce was meticulous in his research and he
          had some of the best people around doing the drafting work.
          Good luck on your NCNG book,
          Greg Maxwell

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
            Greg,

            I agree with you wholeheartedly.
            I should have made it a point in my original email not to pass that
            information off as a fact, which was my mistake.
            It is only a foot between opinions and in the model making world, a foot
            difference isn't too bad either way.
            My hat goes off to Bruce for his research for the book, I could not put it
            down when I first got it.

            -Andrew-

            > The note about the cars being 25' long came from a dimensional scaling of
            > the actual cars as built by Herman Darr.
            > It may not be correct, but personally I haven't measured for myself.
            > Apparently Herman concluded that they were originally 25' before the book
            > came out (through measurement) but it fell on deaf ears.
            >
            > I suppose the best way to check would be to do some measurements on our
            own
            > to check.
            >
            > -Andrew->>
            >
            > Andrew,
            > As you are aware you nor I nor Herman or anybody else can measure these
            cars
            > as none of these cars have existed "as built" for probably a 100 years. As
            far
            > as I know the data Herman and Bruce used was scaled from photos and that
            this
            > is not an exact science. Herman is very good but Herman himself will tell
            you
            > that the NCNG replica caboose at the museum, built to dimensions supplied
            by
            > him is at least a foot too long. I know for a fact that Herman's drawing
            of
            > the E&P stock car is a foot or so too long when compared to the stock car
            sides
            > found (and measured) near Union Pass in Eureka County. Herman may be right
            > about this I don't know. I know that Bruce was meticulous in his research
            and he
            > had some of the best people around doing the drafting work.
            > Good luck on your NCNG book,
            > Greg Maxwell

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > This email was pre-scanned by Spam Guardian
            > A Service Provided by http://www.foothill.net

          • trainman5623
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
              Andrew,
              Do you know off hand who imported/produced the #8? I assume these
              were produced a long time ago, does anybody have any ideas where i
              might find one for sale? I mainly model in Sn3 but there seems to be
              a better selection of products suitable for the NCNG in On3 and I am
              considering building a small switching layout in On3 (and would like
              to use NCNG equipment on it). I think I will try to get the Grandt
              Line kit for the #10 to start off with.

              thanks,
              spencer noe

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
                Spencer,

                Don't quote me on it, but I think it was Westside that imported #8.
                I can't remember off the top of my head honestly, I am sure someone else
                here might know for sure.

                -Andrew-

                > Do you know off hand who imported/produced the #8? I assume these
                > were produced a long time ago, does anybody have any ideas where i
                > might find one for sale? I mainly model in Sn3 but there seems to be
                > a better selection of products suitable for the NCNG in On3 and I am
                > considering building a small switching layout in On3 (and would like
                > to use NCNG equipment on it). I think I will try to get the Grandt
                > Line kit for the #10 to start off with.
                >
                > thanks,
                > spencer noe
                >
                > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <abrandon@f...> wrote:
                > > Spencer,
                > >
                > > 5,8 and 9 have all been done in On3 brass. We have an example of
                > each of
                > > these at the NCNG Museum.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > This email was pre-scanned by Spam Guardian
                > A Service Provided by http://www.foothill.net

              • Keith Wandry
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
                  Sunset did #8.
                  Iron Horse did # 5 and #9

                  You can get timeframes on when they were available by looking at old
                  issues of the Gazzette. The numbers imported were very small on the #5
                  and the #9 (roughly somewhere between 25 to 50 units of each - someone
                  else may know precise numbers). Caboose Hobbies did have a #9 not that
                  long ago...

                  keith

                  Andrew Brandon wrote:

                  >Spencer,
                  >
                  >Don't quote me on it, but I think it was Westside that imported #8.
                  >I can't remember off the top of my head honestly, I am sure someone else
                  >here might know for sure.
                  >
                  >-Andrew-

                • trainman5623
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 26, 2004
                    --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Keith Wandry <keith@l...> wrote:
                    > Sunset did #8.
                    > Iron Horse did # 5 and #9

                    anybody know where i might be able to find one of these for sale(On3)?

                    -spencer