Re: NCNG locomotives and plans

  • Jim Vail
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
      SpencerNoe@... wrote:

      >Hi,
      >Does anybody know if NCNG #5 and #8 were ever produced in On3 brass? Additionally, are there any plans availible for the NCNG boxcars and flatcars? I would like to scratchbuild a few of these in both On3 and Sn3.
      >
      >thanks,
      >Spencer Noe

      Herman Darr has done plans for most all of the NCNG freight equipment.
      Plans are available directly from him, or most likely Coronado Scale
      Models or Underground Railway Press.

      Jim Vail
    • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
        <<In addition there is a nice drawing of the NCNG's early flatcars in Bruce
        MacGregor's Birth of California Narrow Gauge book, however these plans show
        the cars to be 24 feet long instead of the correct 25 feet.>>

        Andy,
        I believe that you are in error on this. I understand there is considerable
        evidence to support that the original Carter cars were 24' in length. By 1912,
        when the California RR Commission did their valuation the NCNG's low numbered
        flat cars were listed as being 25'4"long. The cars that the RR Commission
        examined in 1912 were not the original Carter cars but cars that had been built by
        the NCNG shops using recycled Carter hardware.
        Regards,
        Greg Maxwell

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
          Greg,

          The note about the cars being 25' long came from a dimensional scaling of
          the actual cars as built by Herman Darr.
          It may not be correct, but personally I haven't measured for myself.
          Apparently Herman concluded that they were originally 25' before the book
          came out (through measurement) but it fell on deaf ears.

          I suppose the best way to check would be to do some measurements on our own
          to check.

          -Andrew-

        • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
            <<Greg,

            The note about the cars being 25' long came from a dimensional scaling of
            the actual cars as built by Herman Darr.
            It may not be correct, but personally I haven't measured for myself.
            Apparently Herman concluded that they were originally 25' before the book
            came out (through measurement) but it fell on deaf ears.

            I suppose the best way to check would be to do some measurements on our own
            to check.

            -Andrew->>

            Andrew,
            As you are aware you nor I nor Herman or anybody else can measure these cars
            as none of these cars have existed "as built" for probably a 100 years. As far
            as I know the data Herman and Bruce used was scaled from photos and that this
            is not an exact science. Herman is very good but Herman himself will tell you
            that the NCNG replica caboose at the museum, built to dimensions supplied by
            him is at least a foot too long. I know for a fact that Herman's drawing of
            the E&P stock car is a foot or so too long when compared to the stock car sides
            found (and measured) near Union Pass in Eureka County. Herman may be right
            about this I don't know. I know that Bruce was meticulous in his research and he
            had some of the best people around doing the drafting work.
            Good luck on your NCNG book,
            Greg Maxwell

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
              Greg,

              I agree with you wholeheartedly.
              I should have made it a point in my original email not to pass that
              information off as a fact, which was my mistake.
              It is only a foot between opinions and in the model making world, a foot
              difference isn't too bad either way.
              My hat goes off to Bruce for his research for the book, I could not put it
              down when I first got it.

              -Andrew-

              > The note about the cars being 25' long came from a dimensional scaling of
              > the actual cars as built by Herman Darr.
              > It may not be correct, but personally I haven't measured for myself.
              > Apparently Herman concluded that they were originally 25' before the book
              > came out (through measurement) but it fell on deaf ears.
              >
              > I suppose the best way to check would be to do some measurements on our
              own
              > to check.
              >
              > -Andrew->>
              >
              > Andrew,
              > As you are aware you nor I nor Herman or anybody else can measure these
              cars
              > as none of these cars have existed "as built" for probably a 100 years. As
              far
              > as I know the data Herman and Bruce used was scaled from photos and that
              this
              > is not an exact science. Herman is very good but Herman himself will tell
              you
              > that the NCNG replica caboose at the museum, built to dimensions supplied
              by
              > him is at least a foot too long. I know for a fact that Herman's drawing
              of
              > the E&P stock car is a foot or so too long when compared to the stock car
              sides
              > found (and measured) near Union Pass in Eureka County. Herman may be right
              > about this I don't know. I know that Bruce was meticulous in his research
              and he
              > had some of the best people around doing the drafting work.
              > Good luck on your NCNG book,
              > Greg Maxwell

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > This email was pre-scanned by Spam Guardian
              > A Service Provided by http://www.foothill.net

            • trainman5623
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
                Andrew,
                Do you know off hand who imported/produced the #8? I assume these
                were produced a long time ago, does anybody have any ideas where i
                might find one for sale? I mainly model in Sn3 but there seems to be
                a better selection of products suitable for the NCNG in On3 and I am
                considering building a small switching layout in On3 (and would like
                to use NCNG equipment on it). I think I will try to get the Grandt
                Line kit for the #10 to start off with.

                thanks,
                spencer noe

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
                  Spencer,

                  Don't quote me on it, but I think it was Westside that imported #8.
                  I can't remember off the top of my head honestly, I am sure someone else
                  here might know for sure.

                  -Andrew-

                  > Do you know off hand who imported/produced the #8? I assume these
                  > were produced a long time ago, does anybody have any ideas where i
                  > might find one for sale? I mainly model in Sn3 but there seems to be
                  > a better selection of products suitable for the NCNG in On3 and I am
                  > considering building a small switching layout in On3 (and would like
                  > to use NCNG equipment on it). I think I will try to get the Grandt
                  > Line kit for the #10 to start off with.
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > spencer noe
                  >
                  > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <abrandon@f...> wrote:
                  > > Spencer,
                  > >
                  > > 5,8 and 9 have all been done in On3 brass. We have an example of
                  > each of
                  > > these at the NCNG Museum.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > This email was pre-scanned by Spam Guardian
                  > A Service Provided by http://www.foothill.net

                • Keith Wandry
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 25, 2004
                    Sunset did #8.
                    Iron Horse did # 5 and #9

                    You can get timeframes on when they were available by looking at old
                    issues of the Gazzette. The numbers imported were very small on the #5
                    and the #9 (roughly somewhere between 25 to 50 units of each - someone
                    else may know precise numbers). Caboose Hobbies did have a #9 not that
                    long ago...

                    keith

                    Andrew Brandon wrote:

                    >Spencer,
                    >
                    >Don't quote me on it, but I think it was Westside that imported #8.
                    >I can't remember off the top of my head honestly, I am sure someone else
                    >here might know for sure.
                    >
                    >-Andrew-

                  • trainman5623
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 26, 2004
                      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Keith Wandry <keith@l...> wrote:
                      > Sunset did #8.
                      > Iron Horse did # 5 and #9

                      anybody know where i might be able to find one of these for sale(On3)?

                      -spencer