Modeling Colfax (was Re: Bear River bridge progress report)

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, John Teall <themnax@y...> wrote:

      > > Doug
      > >
      > i wish you could have seen it too
      >
      > the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
      > begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
      > or at least i tought so.

      It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account and saw some pics
      in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the first-hand report!

      Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot, you might be
      interested in my first scrath-build project for my NTrak module set:

      http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

      http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

      Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner Pass", web
      photos as well as some measurements I took while out there on a trip
      in '97.

      I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse (narrowed to 5 stalls)
      and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of the depot,
      although my source material is kinda thin on those.

      Maybe you or others in the group might have some info?

      Doug
    • John Teall
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
        --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
        > It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account
        > and saw some pics
        > in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the
        > first-hand report!
        >
        > Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot,
        > you might be
        > interested in my first scrath-build project for my
        > NTrak module set:

        http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

        http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

        > Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner
        > Pass", web
        > photos as well as some measurements I took while out
        > there on a trip
        > in '97.
        >
        > I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse
        > (narrowed to 5 stalls)
        > and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of
        > the depot,
        > although my source material is kinda thin on those.
        >
        > Maybe you or others in the group might have some
        > info?
        >

        > Doug

        all i ever saw of that engine house of course was the
        footings and the tracks which at first, in 57 had a
        whole bunce of outfit cars (box and some obsolete
        passinger that had been converted to living quarters
        for track crewes) parked on them. later in the early
        to mid 60s there was a silica ball mill that turned
        the silica rock that was the hydraulic mining tailings
        into the fine powder that colgate put in toothpaste
        occupied the site.

        now the fruit sheds were still a going (albeit
        seasonal) concern in the all through the 60s and well
        into the 70s

        the (east) end nearest the depot was a concrete cold
        storage room that i'm not sure what year it was added
        on but likely either during the last years of the
        narrowgauge just befor wwii or very shortly thereafter
        if not.

        last time i was up there, just a couple of years ago,
        the structure itself was mostly still there. what had
        been the cold storage room had some outfit
        manufacturing scateboard in there and they had knocked
        a new hole in the wall for a loading door. i don't
        think they lasted very long. this was oh more or less
        arround ten years ago or so that was in there. the
        next section of the fruit sheds that abbuted and
        shared the platform on the standard gauge side was the
        actual sorting and packing shed itself. somewhere not
        too long before i got back down here from my sojurn up
        in oregon, in 87, that had been converted into a kind
        of minimall with a couple of botiquie type shops and a
        restaurant of some kind. not really a good location
        for retain and i don't think anyone in there stayed
        very successfull at it very long. when i was up there
        a couple of three years ago they were mostly empty and
        the restaurant bussiness was closed and likely up for
        sale.

        current status in the last couple of years unknown.

        essentialy the overall shape of the structure remained
        unchainged as far as the roofline and the track
        platform (north) side of it, with visualy signifigant
        but structrualy cosmetic chainges on the street side.

        weather any of that is still there i can't say for
        sure but chances are REAL good it still is.

        after the skateboard place moved out of the cold
        storage room there was what looked like the beggining
        of partial demolition so i don't know if that has
        since taken place. the cold storage room was a
        concrete structure so unless somebody put some money
        and effort into tearing it down it's likely still
        there or at least enough of it to get dementions off
        of. the sorting shed was a mostly wooden structure,
        but like i said had been maintained and is likely stll
        there. further west of there had once been the
        transfer shed for the narrowgauge, that (along with as
        noted, the engine house itself), was already gone
        when i first set eyes on the place in 57.

        the y for turning engines incidently was still in
        place and on rare occasions used prior to the building
        of the silica ball mill and i'm not sure but possibly
        after.

        in the late 50s and early 60s a single f-unit was most
        often used on the work trains and would sometimes be
        turned on that y. and occasionaly other power. the
        ends of it would accomodate two f-units as i recall
        but not three or four.

        sometimes when there was more then one eastbound
        freight to get in the clear they'd back it in on the
        track still identified as roundhouse lead.

        sometimes when my dad was working there
        they'd swap power on eastboud freights especialy if
        there were units failing on one.

        in those days, well right up until arround 80 or 81
        when my dad retired at norden they were still using
        mid train helpers that were cut off at norden and sent
        back down the hill light to roseville.

        if a train at colfax needed additional units they'd
        grab these and put them on there.

        i don't know when the stopped having a 24 hour manned
        office in colfax but in 77 when i left for oregon for
        ten years (and my dad was still working third trick i
        think it was at norden) i know they still did.

        =^^=
        .../\...

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools