Re: Bear River bridge progress report

  • John Teall
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004

      http://home.comcast.net/~dstuard/railimages/BRBtower.jpg

      > The BRB will reside on a 18" x 4' oNeTrak module,
      > with the river and
      > the irrigation diversion dam below. I would like to
      > go Nn3, as we
      > have a fairly active Nn3 contingent in our club, but
      > may go Nstd so
      > the module will get more use (The bridge was
      > intended for standard
      > gauge use, afterall, so that wouldn't be much of a
      > stretch).
      >
      > Has anyone else modeled this, other the O gauge
      > guys?
      >
      > Doug Stuard
      > Reston, VA

      er - intended for standard gauge? where did that come
      from?

      i'd have sworn the gravel spur was on the placer
      county (same side as the s.p. connection at colfax)
      side but i could be mistaken.

      overbuilt to a capacity adiquite for standard gauge
      maybe, but this is the first i've heard of it if that
      was the case. it WAS stout (or at least way better
      built then the spectacular failure to ritualy demolish
      it at the begining of constructing the dam seemed to
      demonstrate). but as far as i know i've never heard
      that there had ever been any serious intention to
      standard gauge.

      (not that i would know but this is (i think) the first
      i've heard THAT)

      =^^=
      .../\...

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004
        John,

        In the article about the construction of the bridge that appeared in
        the March 11, 1909 "Engineering News" (see the files section
        under "Bear River Bridge Drawings"), the first and nexet-to-last
        paragraphs discuss the design and construction of the bridge to
        accomodate possible future expansion to standard gauge. Obviously,
        this never ocurred, as standard gauge was only extended to the
        gravel spur.

        I only wish I had seen the bridge before they took it down. We went
        to Lake Tahoe every summer during the '50s, and the drive thru
        Colfax on US 40 was always enjoyable (especially as we had finally
        escaped the heat of the valley). Even though my dad was a train
        fan, I was unaware that the NCNG had ever existed, and we never took
        the slight detour to see the (then inactive) bridge. It took Best's
        book to show me the light.

        If I can fit it, I might lay dual gauge track on my version of the
        bridge, but it might be easier to select one or the other or rubber
        cement two alternate sets of bridge track.

        Keep checking in.

        Doug

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
          --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
          > John,
          >
          > In the article about the construction of the bridge
          > that appeared in
          > the March 11, 1909 "Engineering News" (see the files
          > section
          > under "Bear River Bridge Drawings"), the first and
          > nexet-to-last
          > paragraphs discuss the design and construction of
          > the bridge to
          > accomodate possible future expansion to standard
          > gauge. Obviously,
          > this never ocurred, as standard gauge was only
          > extended to the
          > gravel spur.
          >
          > I only wish I had seen the bridge before they took
          > it down. We went
          > to Lake Tahoe every summer during the '50s, and the
          > drive thru
          > Colfax on US 40 was always enjoyable (especially as
          > we had finally
          > escaped the heat of the valley). Even though my dad
          > was a train
          > fan, I was unaware that the NCNG had ever existed,
          > and we never took
          > the slight detour to see the (then inactive) bridge.
          > It took Best's
          > book to show me the light.
          >
          > If I can fit it, I might lay dual gauge track on my
          > version of the
          > bridge, but it might be easier to select one or the
          > other or rubber
          > cement two alternate sets of bridge track.
          >
          > Keep checking in.
          >
          > Doug

          i wish you could have seen it too

          the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
          begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
          or at least i tought so.

          no one had thought to set charges, near as i could
          tell, to blow the pins on that little center section,
          i guess they must have just expected it to collapse
          from the tow main towers leaning toward it.

          no way was it about to. the concrete footings where
          they had set the charges were pulverized alright

          but the whole thing just rose up in the air maybe a
          foot or so if that, then settled right back down
          pretty much where it had been with that little plate
          girder section in the middle kind wedged in there
          keeping it from being able to colapse.

          you know the politicians had all made speaches about
          what a wonderful thing the dam was going to be and all
          that, and made this big cerimonial production of
          blowing it up, and when the dust cleared it just stood
          there, kinda messed up, but not about to fall down.

          we moved up to colfax in 57 and lived there untill the
          year i graduated high school in 66. my dad was shorty
          teall who was a 'telegrapher/towerman/clerk' for the
          s.p. right there in colfax. i used to hang out down
          at the depot whenever i could. bringing him his lunch
          and eating it with him or just being there most of his
          shift a lot of times when i wasn't in school like in
          the summer.

          there were a bunch of maps like that one of colfax in
          the back of best's book in the back desk in the
          office, along with a bunch of bill harges locotomotive
          opperator's manuals and other treasures.

          =^^=
          .../\...

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
            --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, John Teall <themnax@y...> wrote:

            > > Doug
            > >
            > i wish you could have seen it too
            >
            > the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
            > begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
            > or at least i tought so.

            It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account and saw some pics
            in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the first-hand report!

            Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot, you might be
            interested in my first scrath-build project for my NTrak module set:

            http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

            http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

            Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner Pass", web
            photos as well as some measurements I took while out there on a trip
            in '97.

            I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse (narrowed to 5 stalls)
            and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of the depot,
            although my source material is kinda thin on those.

            Maybe you or others in the group might have some info?

            Doug
          • John Teall
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
              --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
              > It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account
              > and saw some pics
              > in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the
              > first-hand report!
              >
              > Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot,
              > you might be
              > interested in my first scrath-build project for my
              > NTrak module set:

              http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

              http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

              > Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner
              > Pass", web
              > photos as well as some measurements I took while out
              > there on a trip
              > in '97.
              >
              > I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse
              > (narrowed to 5 stalls)
              > and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of
              > the depot,
              > although my source material is kinda thin on those.
              >
              > Maybe you or others in the group might have some
              > info?
              >

              > Doug

              all i ever saw of that engine house of course was the
              footings and the tracks which at first, in 57 had a
              whole bunce of outfit cars (box and some obsolete
              passinger that had been converted to living quarters
              for track crewes) parked on them. later in the early
              to mid 60s there was a silica ball mill that turned
              the silica rock that was the hydraulic mining tailings
              into the fine powder that colgate put in toothpaste
              occupied the site.

              now the fruit sheds were still a going (albeit
              seasonal) concern in the all through the 60s and well
              into the 70s

              the (east) end nearest the depot was a concrete cold
              storage room that i'm not sure what year it was added
              on but likely either during the last years of the
              narrowgauge just befor wwii or very shortly thereafter
              if not.

              last time i was up there, just a couple of years ago,
              the structure itself was mostly still there. what had
              been the cold storage room had some outfit
              manufacturing scateboard in there and they had knocked
              a new hole in the wall for a loading door. i don't
              think they lasted very long. this was oh more or less
              arround ten years ago or so that was in there. the
              next section of the fruit sheds that abbuted and
              shared the platform on the standard gauge side was the
              actual sorting and packing shed itself. somewhere not
              too long before i got back down here from my sojurn up
              in oregon, in 87, that had been converted into a kind
              of minimall with a couple of botiquie type shops and a
              restaurant of some kind. not really a good location
              for retain and i don't think anyone in there stayed
              very successfull at it very long. when i was up there
              a couple of three years ago they were mostly empty and
              the restaurant bussiness was closed and likely up for
              sale.

              current status in the last couple of years unknown.

              essentialy the overall shape of the structure remained
              unchainged as far as the roofline and the track
              platform (north) side of it, with visualy signifigant
              but structrualy cosmetic chainges on the street side.

              weather any of that is still there i can't say for
              sure but chances are REAL good it still is.

              after the skateboard place moved out of the cold
              storage room there was what looked like the beggining
              of partial demolition so i don't know if that has
              since taken place. the cold storage room was a
              concrete structure so unless somebody put some money
              and effort into tearing it down it's likely still
              there or at least enough of it to get dementions off
              of. the sorting shed was a mostly wooden structure,
              but like i said had been maintained and is likely stll
              there. further west of there had once been the
              transfer shed for the narrowgauge, that (along with as
              noted, the engine house itself), was already gone
              when i first set eyes on the place in 57.

              the y for turning engines incidently was still in
              place and on rare occasions used prior to the building
              of the silica ball mill and i'm not sure but possibly
              after.

              in the late 50s and early 60s a single f-unit was most
              often used on the work trains and would sometimes be
              turned on that y. and occasionaly other power. the
              ends of it would accomodate two f-units as i recall
              but not three or four.

              sometimes when there was more then one eastbound
              freight to get in the clear they'd back it in on the
              track still identified as roundhouse lead.

              sometimes when my dad was working there
              they'd swap power on eastboud freights especialy if
              there were units failing on one.

              in those days, well right up until arround 80 or 81
              when my dad retired at norden they were still using
              mid train helpers that were cut off at norden and sent
              back down the hill light to roseville.

              if a train at colfax needed additional units they'd
              grab these and put them on there.

              i don't know when the stopped having a 24 hour manned
              office in colfax but in 77 when i left for oregon for
              ten years (and my dad was still working third trick i
              think it was at norden) i know they still did.

              =^^=
              .../\...

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools