Re: New Member

  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2004
      Jim Vail wrote:
      <<Some other books covering the NCNG:
      Shaw, Fisher and Harlan, "Oil Lamps and Iron Ponies", Bay Books
      Ltd., 1949.
      George Turner, "Narrow Gauge Nostalgia", J-H Publications, 1965.
      Juanita Browne, "A Tale Of Two Cities and a Train", Nevada County
      Historical Society, 1987.>>

      This list should also include "The Colfax Connection
      " and "The Chicago Park Connection" by Pat Jones, self published?? Later
      printings of "Bonanza Railroads" by Gilbert Kneiss contained an added chapter on
      the NCNG.
      Regards,
      Greg Maxwell

    • Randy Torres
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
        I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
        Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a hard
        back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
        Rand*****

        --- Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

        > Doug Stuard wrote:
        >
        > >Harold Best's book (Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Howell-North), is
        > >perhaps the best single source of info on the "Never Come, Never Go"
        >
        > >(other than this group, of course), and is worth a few bucks if you
        > >can find it.
        > >
        > You'll never find it under that name! It's Gerald M. Best, "Nevada
        > County Narrow Gauge", Howell-North, 1965.

      • Harry Marnell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
          Randy Torres wrote:
          > I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
          > Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a
          > hard
          > back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
          > Rand*****

          Tthe "addall.com" group of independent booksellers currently lists about
          86 used copies of Best's book available, ranging in price from $24.17 up
          to $85.00.

          See their two pages of listings at http://tinyurl.com/39p9e

          harry
        • Marie L Schwaegerl
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
            Randy Torres wrote:
            > I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
            > Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a
            > hard
            > back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
            > Rand

            Hi Group,

            I don't know how much the Best book is since I bought my copy in Nevada
            City for $80 back in 1995. I have a hard time finding mine. I know now
            that book has since been reprinted and is sold at the Railroad Museum
            gift shop for around $40. I looked through it and it's the same as the
            original book.

            Marie