Re: Re: New Member

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
      Also of note, I am working on a NCNG pictorial book at the moment for the
      NCNG museum (proceeds going to the museum).
      I will announce more about it as I get further along.

      -Andrew Brandon-

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2004
        Jim Vail wrote:
        <<Some other books covering the NCNG:
        Shaw, Fisher and Harlan, "Oil Lamps and Iron Ponies", Bay Books
        Ltd., 1949.
        George Turner, "Narrow Gauge Nostalgia", J-H Publications, 1965.
        Juanita Browne, "A Tale Of Two Cities and a Train", Nevada County
        Historical Society, 1987.>>

        This list should also include "The Colfax Connection
        " and "The Chicago Park Connection" by Pat Jones, self published?? Later
        printings of "Bonanza Railroads" by Gilbert Kneiss contained an added chapter on
        the NCNG.
        Regards,
        Greg Maxwell

      • Randy Torres
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
          I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
          Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a hard
          back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
          Rand*****

          --- Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

          > Doug Stuard wrote:
          >
          > >Harold Best's book (Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Howell-North), is
          > >perhaps the best single source of info on the "Never Come, Never Go"
          >
          > >(other than this group, of course), and is worth a few bucks if you
          > >can find it.
          > >
          > You'll never find it under that name! It's Gerald M. Best, "Nevada
          > County Narrow Gauge", Howell-North, 1965.

        • Harry Marnell
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
            Randy Torres wrote:
            > I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
            > Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a
            > hard
            > back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
            > Rand*****

            Tthe "addall.com" group of independent booksellers currently lists about
            86 used copies of Best's book available, ranging in price from $24.17 up
            to $85.00.

            See their two pages of listings at http://tinyurl.com/39p9e

            harry
          • Marie L Schwaegerl
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
              Randy Torres wrote:
              > I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
              > Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a
              > hard
              > back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
              > Rand

              Hi Group,

              I don't know how much the Best book is since I bought my copy in Nevada
              City for $80 back in 1995. I have a hard time finding mine. I know now
              that book has since been reprinted and is sold at the Railroad Museum
              gift shop for around $40. I looked through it and it's the same as the
              original book.

              Marie