Re: Re: New Member

  • Jim Vail
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
      Doug Stuard wrote:

      >Harold Best's book (Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Howell-North), is
      >perhaps the best single source of info on the "Never Come, Never Go"
      >(other than this group, of course), and is worth a few bucks if you
      >can find it.

      You'll never find it under that name! It's Gerald M. Best, "Nevada
      County Narrow Gauge", Howell-North, 1965.

      Some other books covering the NCNG:
      Shaw, Fisher and Harlan, "Oil Lamps and Iron Ponies", Bay Books
      Ltd., 1949.
      George Turner, "Narrow Gauge Nostalgia", J-H Publications, 1965.
      Juanita Browne, "A Tale Of Two Cities and a Train", Nevada County
      Historical Society, 1987.

      Jim Vail
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2004
        Also of note, I am working on a NCNG pictorial book at the moment for the
        NCNG museum (proceeds going to the museum).
        I will announce more about it as I get further along.

        -Andrew Brandon-

      • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2004
          Jim Vail wrote:
          <<Some other books covering the NCNG:
          Shaw, Fisher and Harlan, "Oil Lamps and Iron Ponies", Bay Books
          Ltd., 1949.
          George Turner, "Narrow Gauge Nostalgia", J-H Publications, 1965.
          Juanita Browne, "A Tale Of Two Cities and a Train", Nevada County
          Historical Society, 1987.>>

          This list should also include "The Colfax Connection
          " and "The Chicago Park Connection" by Pat Jones, self published?? Later
          printings of "Bonanza Railroads" by Gilbert Kneiss contained an added chapter on
          the NCNG.
          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell

        • Randy Torres
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
            I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
            Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a hard
            back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
            Rand*****

            --- Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

            > Doug Stuard wrote:
            >
            > >Harold Best's book (Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Howell-North), is
            > >perhaps the best single source of info on the "Never Come, Never Go"
            >
            > >(other than this group, of course), and is worth a few bucks if you
            > >can find it.
            > >
            > You'll never find it under that name! It's Gerald M. Best, "Nevada
            > County Narrow Gauge", Howell-North, 1965.

          • Harry Marnell
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
              Randy Torres wrote:
              > I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
              > Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a
              > hard
              > back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
              > Rand*****

              Tthe "addall.com" group of independent booksellers currently lists about
              86 used copies of Best's book available, ranging in price from $24.17 up
              to $85.00.

              See their two pages of listings at http://tinyurl.com/39p9e

              harry
            • Marie L Schwaegerl
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 24, 2004
                Randy Torres wrote:
                > I paid $25.00 for my copy back in 1988 (Nevada County Narrow Gauge,
                > Howell-North). I wonder how much it's worth today. My friend had a
                > hard
                > back print of this book in the 70's. I wonder if he still has it.
                > Rand

                Hi Group,

                I don't know how much the Best book is since I bought my copy in Nevada
                City for $80 back in 1995. I have a hard time finding mine. I know now
                that book has since been reprinted and is sold at the Railroad Museum
                gift shop for around $40. I looked through it and it's the same as the
                original book.

                Marie