Re: New Member

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 17, 2004
      Pete,

      Welcome to the group! It looks like I might have shaken a few folks
      loose.

      One place to start on NCNG locos is the NCNG Museum website:
      http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/ The NCNG had two 2-8-0's, #8
      (Baldwin, 1882) and the venerable #9 (Baldwin, 1914). They had no 4-6-
      0s, but #5, a Baldwin 2-6-0 (1875) was a favorite and is preserved at
      the Museum.

      Harold Best's book (Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Howell-North), is
      perhaps the best single source of info on the "Never Come, Never Go"
      (other than this group, of course), and is worth a few bucks if you
      can find it.

      Although I model in N, I'm always interested in anything NCNG. Please
      keep us informed of your progress.

      Doug Stuard
      Reston, VA

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Peter M Grace" <peter.grace@b...>
      wrote:
      > Hi to everybody on the list,
      >
      > I have a new HOn3 NCNG loco sitting on my desk. You see, after
      modelling
      > DRGW stuff for years, and deciding to manufacture some HOn3 locos
      at a
      > factory in India, a friend suggested I should look at other lines,
      such as
      > the NCNG.
      >
      > Now I have plans for a couple of the locos and my current plan is
      to attempt
      > manufacturing both a 2-8-0 and a 4-6-0. I will do a whaleback
      tender and
      > there are some others that will be in the range that might be
      suitable.

      > If there is anyone on the list who could assist me with questions
      in respect
      > of the NCNG locos I would be more than grateful..
      >
      > Pete
    • trw1089
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2008
        Hi all

        I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
        NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
        No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
        but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
        especially of the tender.

        If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
        version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.

        Cheers
        Tony
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2008
          Tony,

          Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider to be
          the "best" drawing to date.
          I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge Annual?
          You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
          says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
          As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale anymore.
          If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there was a
          drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
          Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
          although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.

          As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since she
          was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I cannot
          remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will check
          when I get home.

          -Andrew-

          On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM, trw1089 <trweber@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
          > NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
          > No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
          > but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
          > especially of the tender.
          >
          > If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
          > version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Tony

        • trw1089
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2008
            Thanks Andrew

            I checked the previous messages too and it seems like everyone wants
            to know about the whaleback tenders, so apologies for asking something
            that appears to have been asked several times previously.

            I got hold of the Narrow Gauge Annual last year and the NCNG article
            is a great reference, but unfortunately there aren't any drawings or
            perhaps you were referring to the year before which I don't have. I'd
            heard of Herman's drawings also, but haven't managed to secure one as
            yet. I'll have to check the NG &SL issue you were referring to as I
            haven't seen that one, but have a copy of the grant C16 drawing from
            2005. Oh well, I'll keep digging.

            Cheers
            Tony

            --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@...>
            wrote:

            > Tony,
            >
            > Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider to be
            > the "best" drawing to date.
            > I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge Annual?
            > You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
            > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
            > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale anymore.
            > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there was a
            > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
            > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
            > although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.
            >
            > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since she
            > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I cannot
            > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will check
            > when I get home.
            >
            > -Andrew-

          • Greg Maxwell
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2008
              Tony,
              The only drawing I know of for the NCNG's #8 was done by Al Armitage.
              It seems to me that it was published in the model railroad press at
              some point and I have a xerox of this drawing someplace. I will see
              if I can locate it and see where and when it was published.
              Best regards,
              Greg Maxwell
              West Linn, OR

              --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Andrew
              >
              > I checked the previous messages too and it seems like everyone wants
              > to know about the whaleback tenders, so apologies for asking
              something
              > that appears to have been asked several times previously.
              >
              > I got hold of the Narrow Gauge Annual last year and the NCNG article
              > is a great reference, but unfortunately there aren't any drawings or
              > perhaps you were referring to the year before which I don't have.
              I'd
              > heard of Herman's drawings also, but haven't managed to secure one
              as
              > yet. I'll have to check the NG &SL issue you were referring to as I
              > haven't seen that one, but have a copy of the grant C16 drawing from
              > 2005. Oh well, I'll keep digging.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Tony
              >
              > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Tony,
              > >
              > > Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider
              to be
              > > the "best" drawing to date.
              > > I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge
              Annual?
              > > You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
              > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
              > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
              anymore.
              > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there
              was a
              > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
              > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
              > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.
              > >
              > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since
              she
              > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
              cannot
              > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will
              check
              > > when I get home.
              > >
              > > -Andrew-

            • Greg Maxwell
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2008
                Tony,

                I guess I was misstaken as to where my drawing came from. I dug out
                the drawing of #8 and it was done by Al for PSC.

                Regards,
                Greg

                --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
                > > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
                > anymore.
                > > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay
                there
                > was a
                > > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge
                &
                > > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the
                tender,
                > > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for
                details.

                > > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done
                since
                > she
                > > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
                > cannot
                > > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will

              • trw1089
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2008
                  Thanks for letting me know Greg. I presume that drawing isn't in the
                  public domain, but would you know how I could go about obtaining a
                  copy? Feel free to contact me off list if that makes it easier.

                  Cheers
                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2008
                    Tony,

                    I was a bit absent minded last night and forgot to post a message
                    about the annual.
                    What you are looking for is the 2008 Modeler's Annual, they might
                    still have copies if you call that number I posted yesterday.
                    However, the Modeler's Annuals if you've never purchased one are pricy
                    but well worth it, the 2008 edition is loaded with NCNG plans and
                    photos although I did note a couple blatantly wrong captions.

                    -=Andrew=-
                  • flobarchetti
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12, 2008
                      Tony,

                      when you are looking for information about NCNG and particular the
                      whaleback tender of No. 8, "The 2007 Narrow Gauge Annual", "The 2007
                      Modelers Annual" and "The 2008 Narrow Gauge Annual" published by
                      Westlake are a must have. The 2007 Modelers Annual features the
                      drawing of the whaleback tender made by Al Armitage besides a couple
                      of photos of No.8 and a lot of drawings of other rolling stock. The
                      other Annuals are very good source for photos of the NCNG in general.
                      (Some of them never published before)

                      Not to mention G. Best's "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" book that
                      provides a load of photos and history as well.

                      Hope my informations are helpful

                      Florian

                      Almost forgot - an other post mentions a drawing of No.7 made by Ed
                      Gebhardt. Although the whaleback tender was attached to No.7 for a
                      while, this drawing shows the tender that came from No.6 and is quite
                      unique in design.

                      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all
                      >
                      > I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
                      > NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
                      > No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
                      > but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
                      > especially of the tender.
                      >
                      > If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
                      > version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Tony

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 26, 2008
                        NCNG 8 tender

                        Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?
                      • trw1089
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

                          > NCNG 8 tender
                          >
                          > Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                          Hi Mike

                          Thanks for the offer. I've already been sent a copy by another very
                          kind member, and it just so happens that today I picked up the very
                          last copy of the Modeller's Annual with No.8's tender drawing, plus
                          lots of excellent pics and other wonderful NCNG drawings. It was only
                          put back on the shelf yesterday at a railway bookshop in the city I
                          was visiting as someone had asked for it to be put aside but didn't
                          come to pick it. What a shame!!

                          I'm sure others would be glad to see a copy of the drawing though if
                          you did want to post it as I noticed a few people had asked the
                          question before I had (note to self, search posts before posting in
                          future!).

                          Cheers
                          Tony
                        • LeeRainey@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                            In a message dated 5/27/2008 12:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, dasredbaron@... writes:

                            NCNG 8 tender

                            Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                            yes

                            Lee Rainey

                          • flobarchetti
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                              Hi all!

                              Talking about NCNG 8 tender, does anybody have an idea what was used
                              for the decking?

                              For the tender frame, I guess (please correct me when I am wrong)
                              they used U-shaped steel bars.

                              Florian