Re: Bear River bridge progress report

  • Daniel Maxwell
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2004
      Yes, a club I intend to join within the next few weeks, The
      Sacramento Historical Soceity, has an HOn3 model of the BRB. It isnt
      perfect (the curve isnt perfect) but it is very very close..but
      thats ok as it is a freelance layout (and a very good one I might
      add)
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2004
        Curve? What Curve?

        Unless you are talking about the approaches, once you lept off into
        the wild blue, it was straight as a shot from what I can see (Best,
        Browne).

        Besides, on a 4 ft. module, I don't have room for a curve!

        Doug
        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Maxwell" <apathicaa@y...>
        wrote:
        > Yes, a club I intend to join within the next few weeks, The
        > Sacramento Historical Soceity, has an HOn3 model of the BRB. It
        isnt
        > perfect (the curve isnt perfect) but it is very very close..but
        > thats ok as it is a freelance layout (and a very good one I might
        > add)
      • John Teall
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004

          http://home.comcast.net/~dstuard/railimages/BRBtower.jpg

          > The BRB will reside on a 18" x 4' oNeTrak module,
          > with the river and
          > the irrigation diversion dam below. I would like to
          > go Nn3, as we
          > have a fairly active Nn3 contingent in our club, but
          > may go Nstd so
          > the module will get more use (The bridge was
          > intended for standard
          > gauge use, afterall, so that wouldn't be much of a
          > stretch).
          >
          > Has anyone else modeled this, other the O gauge
          > guys?
          >
          > Doug Stuard
          > Reston, VA

          er - intended for standard gauge? where did that come
          from?

          i'd have sworn the gravel spur was on the placer
          county (same side as the s.p. connection at colfax)
          side but i could be mistaken.

          overbuilt to a capacity adiquite for standard gauge
          maybe, but this is the first i've heard of it if that
          was the case. it WAS stout (or at least way better
          built then the spectacular failure to ritualy demolish
          it at the begining of constructing the dam seemed to
          demonstrate). but as far as i know i've never heard
          that there had ever been any serious intention to
          standard gauge.

          (not that i would know but this is (i think) the first
          i've heard THAT)

          =^^=
          .../\...

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004
            John,

            In the article about the construction of the bridge that appeared in
            the March 11, 1909 "Engineering News" (see the files section
            under "Bear River Bridge Drawings"), the first and nexet-to-last
            paragraphs discuss the design and construction of the bridge to
            accomodate possible future expansion to standard gauge. Obviously,
            this never ocurred, as standard gauge was only extended to the
            gravel spur.

            I only wish I had seen the bridge before they took it down. We went
            to Lake Tahoe every summer during the '50s, and the drive thru
            Colfax on US 40 was always enjoyable (especially as we had finally
            escaped the heat of the valley). Even though my dad was a train
            fan, I was unaware that the NCNG had ever existed, and we never took
            the slight detour to see the (then inactive) bridge. It took Best's
            book to show me the light.

            If I can fit it, I might lay dual gauge track on my version of the
            bridge, but it might be easier to select one or the other or rubber
            cement two alternate sets of bridge track.

            Keep checking in.

            Doug

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
              --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
              > John,
              >
              > In the article about the construction of the bridge
              > that appeared in
              > the March 11, 1909 "Engineering News" (see the files
              > section
              > under "Bear River Bridge Drawings"), the first and
              > nexet-to-last
              > paragraphs discuss the design and construction of
              > the bridge to
              > accomodate possible future expansion to standard
              > gauge. Obviously,
              > this never ocurred, as standard gauge was only
              > extended to the
              > gravel spur.
              >
              > I only wish I had seen the bridge before they took
              > it down. We went
              > to Lake Tahoe every summer during the '50s, and the
              > drive thru
              > Colfax on US 40 was always enjoyable (especially as
              > we had finally
              > escaped the heat of the valley). Even though my dad
              > was a train
              > fan, I was unaware that the NCNG had ever existed,
              > and we never took
              > the slight detour to see the (then inactive) bridge.
              > It took Best's
              > book to show me the light.
              >
              > If I can fit it, I might lay dual gauge track on my
              > version of the
              > bridge, but it might be easier to select one or the
              > other or rubber
              > cement two alternate sets of bridge track.
              >
              > Keep checking in.
              >
              > Doug

              i wish you could have seen it too

              the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
              begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
              or at least i tought so.

              no one had thought to set charges, near as i could
              tell, to blow the pins on that little center section,
              i guess they must have just expected it to collapse
              from the tow main towers leaning toward it.

              no way was it about to. the concrete footings where
              they had set the charges were pulverized alright

              but the whole thing just rose up in the air maybe a
              foot or so if that, then settled right back down
              pretty much where it had been with that little plate
              girder section in the middle kind wedged in there
              keeping it from being able to colapse.

              you know the politicians had all made speaches about
              what a wonderful thing the dam was going to be and all
              that, and made this big cerimonial production of
              blowing it up, and when the dust cleared it just stood
              there, kinda messed up, but not about to fall down.

              we moved up to colfax in 57 and lived there untill the
              year i graduated high school in 66. my dad was shorty
              teall who was a 'telegrapher/towerman/clerk' for the
              s.p. right there in colfax. i used to hang out down
              at the depot whenever i could. bringing him his lunch
              and eating it with him or just being there most of his
              shift a lot of times when i wasn't in school like in
              the summer.

              there were a bunch of maps like that one of colfax in
              the back of best's book in the back desk in the
              office, along with a bunch of bill harges locotomotive
              opperator's manuals and other treasures.

              =^^=
              .../\...

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
                --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, John Teall <themnax@y...> wrote:

                > > Doug
                > >
                > i wish you could have seen it too
                >
                > the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
                > begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
                > or at least i tought so.

                It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account and saw some pics
                in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the first-hand report!

                Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot, you might be
                interested in my first scrath-build project for my NTrak module set:

                http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

                http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

                Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner Pass", web
                photos as well as some measurements I took while out there on a trip
                in '97.

                I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse (narrowed to 5 stalls)
                and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of the depot,
                although my source material is kinda thin on those.

                Maybe you or others in the group might have some info?

                Doug
              • John Teall
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                  --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
                  > It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account
                  > and saw some pics
                  > in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the
                  > first-hand report!
                  >
                  > Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot,
                  > you might be
                  > interested in my first scrath-build project for my
                  > NTrak module set:

                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

                  > Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner
                  > Pass", web
                  > photos as well as some measurements I took while out
                  > there on a trip
                  > in '97.
                  >
                  > I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse
                  > (narrowed to 5 stalls)
                  > and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of
                  > the depot,
                  > although my source material is kinda thin on those.
                  >
                  > Maybe you or others in the group might have some
                  > info?
                  >

                  > Doug

                  all i ever saw of that engine house of course was the
                  footings and the tracks which at first, in 57 had a
                  whole bunce of outfit cars (box and some obsolete
                  passinger that had been converted to living quarters
                  for track crewes) parked on them. later in the early
                  to mid 60s there was a silica ball mill that turned
                  the silica rock that was the hydraulic mining tailings
                  into the fine powder that colgate put in toothpaste
                  occupied the site.

                  now the fruit sheds were still a going (albeit
                  seasonal) concern in the all through the 60s and well
                  into the 70s

                  the (east) end nearest the depot was a concrete cold
                  storage room that i'm not sure what year it was added
                  on but likely either during the last years of the
                  narrowgauge just befor wwii or very shortly thereafter
                  if not.

                  last time i was up there, just a couple of years ago,
                  the structure itself was mostly still there. what had
                  been the cold storage room had some outfit
                  manufacturing scateboard in there and they had knocked
                  a new hole in the wall for a loading door. i don't
                  think they lasted very long. this was oh more or less
                  arround ten years ago or so that was in there. the
                  next section of the fruit sheds that abbuted and
                  shared the platform on the standard gauge side was the
                  actual sorting and packing shed itself. somewhere not
                  too long before i got back down here from my sojurn up
                  in oregon, in 87, that had been converted into a kind
                  of minimall with a couple of botiquie type shops and a
                  restaurant of some kind. not really a good location
                  for retain and i don't think anyone in there stayed
                  very successfull at it very long. when i was up there
                  a couple of three years ago they were mostly empty and
                  the restaurant bussiness was closed and likely up for
                  sale.

                  current status in the last couple of years unknown.

                  essentialy the overall shape of the structure remained
                  unchainged as far as the roofline and the track
                  platform (north) side of it, with visualy signifigant
                  but structrualy cosmetic chainges on the street side.

                  weather any of that is still there i can't say for
                  sure but chances are REAL good it still is.

                  after the skateboard place moved out of the cold
                  storage room there was what looked like the beggining
                  of partial demolition so i don't know if that has
                  since taken place. the cold storage room was a
                  concrete structure so unless somebody put some money
                  and effort into tearing it down it's likely still
                  there or at least enough of it to get dementions off
                  of. the sorting shed was a mostly wooden structure,
                  but like i said had been maintained and is likely stll
                  there. further west of there had once been the
                  transfer shed for the narrowgauge, that (along with as
                  noted, the engine house itself), was already gone
                  when i first set eyes on the place in 57.

                  the y for turning engines incidently was still in
                  place and on rare occasions used prior to the building
                  of the silica ball mill and i'm not sure but possibly
                  after.

                  in the late 50s and early 60s a single f-unit was most
                  often used on the work trains and would sometimes be
                  turned on that y. and occasionaly other power. the
                  ends of it would accomodate two f-units as i recall
                  but not three or four.

                  sometimes when there was more then one eastbound
                  freight to get in the clear they'd back it in on the
                  track still identified as roundhouse lead.

                  sometimes when my dad was working there
                  they'd swap power on eastboud freights especialy if
                  there were units failing on one.

                  in those days, well right up until arround 80 or 81
                  when my dad retired at norden they were still using
                  mid train helpers that were cut off at norden and sent
                  back down the hill light to roseville.

                  if a train at colfax needed additional units they'd
                  grab these and put them on there.

                  i don't know when the stopped having a 24 hour manned
                  office in colfax but in 77 when i left for oregon for
                  ten years (and my dad was still working third trick i
                  think it was at norden) i know they still did.

                  =^^=
                  .../\...

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools