Bear River bridge progress report

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2004
      Hey! WAKE UP!!!

      Where is everybody? Just because the NCNGRR hasn't run in 62 years
      doesn't mean y'all can go to sleep!!

      Back last March, I had asked about info on the Bear River bridge,
      and Doug McLeod was kind enough to post a veritible GOLDMINE (no pun
      intended) of info in the files area. I said back then that I would
      just have to go ahead and build the darn thing in N-scale.

      Progress has been slow, but I've reached somewhat of a milestone,
      having completed two approach towers and one cantelever tower. The
      second cantelever is about halfway done. All Evergreen styrene
      structural shapes. The approach girder spans will be Micro-
      engineering.

      see http://home.comcast.net/~dstuard/railimages/BRBtower.jpg

      The BRB will reside on a 18" x 4' oNeTrak module, with the river and
      the irrigation diversion dam below. I would like to go Nn3, as we
      have a fairly active Nn3 contingent in our club, but may go Nstd so
      the module will get more use (The bridge was intended for standard
      gauge use, afterall, so that wouldn't be much of a stretch).

      Has anyone else modeled this, other the O gauge guys?

      Doug Stuard
      Reston, VA
    • Daniel Maxwell
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2004
        Yes, a club I intend to join within the next few weeks, The
        Sacramento Historical Soceity, has an HOn3 model of the BRB. It isnt
        perfect (the curve isnt perfect) but it is very very close..but
        thats ok as it is a freelance layout (and a very good one I might
        add)
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2004
          Curve? What Curve?

          Unless you are talking about the approaches, once you lept off into
          the wild blue, it was straight as a shot from what I can see (Best,
          Browne).

          Besides, on a 4 ft. module, I don't have room for a curve!

          Doug
          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Maxwell" <apathicaa@y...>
          wrote:
          > Yes, a club I intend to join within the next few weeks, The
          > Sacramento Historical Soceity, has an HOn3 model of the BRB. It
          isnt
          > perfect (the curve isnt perfect) but it is very very close..but
          > thats ok as it is a freelance layout (and a very good one I might
          > add)
        • John Teall
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004
            --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
            > Hey! WAKE UP!!!
            >
            > Where is everybody? Just because the NCNGRR hasn't
            > run in 62 years
            > doesn't mean y'all can go to sleep!!
            >
            > Back last March, I had asked about info on the Bear
            > River bridge,
            > and Doug McLeod was kind enough to post a veritible
            > GOLDMINE (no pun
            > intended) of info in the files area. I said back
            > then that I would
            > just have to go ahead and build the darn thing in
            > N-scale.
            >
            > Progress has been slow, but I've reached somewhat of
            > a milestone,
            > having completed two approach towers and one
            > cantelever tower. The
            > second cantelever is about halfway done. All
            > Evergreen styrene
            > structural shapes. The approach girder spans will
            > be Micro-
            > engineering.
            >
            > see

            http://home.comcast.net/~dstuard/railimages/BRBtower.jpg

            > The BRB will reside on a 18" x 4' oNeTrak module,
            > with the river and
            > the irrigation diversion dam below. I would like to
            > go Nn3, as we
            > have a fairly active Nn3 contingent in our club, but
            > may go Nstd so
            > the module will get more use (The bridge was
            > intended for standard
            > gauge use, afterall, so that wouldn't be much of a
            > stretch).
            >
            > Has anyone else modeled this, other the O gauge
            > guys?
            >
            > Doug Stuard
            > Reston, VA

            er - intended for standard gauge? where did that come
            from?

            i'd have sworn the gravel spur was on the placer
            county (same side as the s.p. connection at colfax)
            side but i could be mistaken.

            overbuilt to a capacity adiquite for standard gauge
            maybe, but this is the first i've heard of it if that
            was the case. it WAS stout (or at least way better
            built then the spectacular failure to ritualy demolish
            it at the begining of constructing the dam seemed to
            demonstrate). but as far as i know i've never heard
            that there had ever been any serious intention to
            standard gauge.

            (not that i would know but this is (i think) the first
            i've heard THAT)

            =^^=
            .../\...

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2004
              John,

              In the article about the construction of the bridge that appeared in
              the March 11, 1909 "Engineering News" (see the files section
              under "Bear River Bridge Drawings"), the first and nexet-to-last
              paragraphs discuss the design and construction of the bridge to
              accomodate possible future expansion to standard gauge. Obviously,
              this never ocurred, as standard gauge was only extended to the
              gravel spur.

              I only wish I had seen the bridge before they took it down. We went
              to Lake Tahoe every summer during the '50s, and the drive thru
              Colfax on US 40 was always enjoyable (especially as we had finally
              escaped the heat of the valley). Even though my dad was a train
              fan, I was unaware that the NCNG had ever existed, and we never took
              the slight detour to see the (then inactive) bridge. It took Best's
              book to show me the light.

              If I can fit it, I might lay dual gauge track on my version of the
              bridge, but it might be easier to select one or the other or rubber
              cement two alternate sets of bridge track.

              Keep checking in.

              Doug

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
                --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
                > John,
                >
                > In the article about the construction of the bridge
                > that appeared in
                > the March 11, 1909 "Engineering News" (see the files
                > section
                > under "Bear River Bridge Drawings"), the first and
                > nexet-to-last
                > paragraphs discuss the design and construction of
                > the bridge to
                > accomodate possible future expansion to standard
                > gauge. Obviously,
                > this never ocurred, as standard gauge was only
                > extended to the
                > gravel spur.
                >
                > I only wish I had seen the bridge before they took
                > it down. We went
                > to Lake Tahoe every summer during the '50s, and the
                > drive thru
                > Colfax on US 40 was always enjoyable (especially as
                > we had finally
                > escaped the heat of the valley). Even though my dad
                > was a train
                > fan, I was unaware that the NCNG had ever existed,
                > and we never took
                > the slight detour to see the (then inactive) bridge.
                > It took Best's
                > book to show me the light.
                >
                > If I can fit it, I might lay dual gauge track on my
                > version of the
                > bridge, but it might be easier to select one or the
                > other or rubber
                > cement two alternate sets of bridge track.
                >
                > Keep checking in.
                >
                > Doug

                i wish you could have seen it too

                the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
                begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
                or at least i tought so.

                no one had thought to set charges, near as i could
                tell, to blow the pins on that little center section,
                i guess they must have just expected it to collapse
                from the tow main towers leaning toward it.

                no way was it about to. the concrete footings where
                they had set the charges were pulverized alright

                but the whole thing just rose up in the air maybe a
                foot or so if that, then settled right back down
                pretty much where it had been with that little plate
                girder section in the middle kind wedged in there
                keeping it from being able to colapse.

                you know the politicians had all made speaches about
                what a wonderful thing the dam was going to be and all
                that, and made this big cerimonial production of
                blowing it up, and when the dust cleared it just stood
                there, kinda messed up, but not about to fall down.

                we moved up to colfax in 57 and lived there untill the
                year i graduated high school in 66. my dad was shorty
                teall who was a 'telegrapher/towerman/clerk' for the
                s.p. right there in colfax. i used to hang out down
                at the depot whenever i could. bringing him his lunch
                and eating it with him or just being there most of his
                shift a lot of times when i wasn't in school like in
                the summer.

                there were a bunch of maps like that one of colfax in
                the back of best's book in the back desk in the
                office, along with a bunch of bill harges locotomotive
                opperator's manuals and other treasures.

                =^^=
                .../\...

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 21, 2004
                  --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, John Teall <themnax@y...> wrote:

                  > > Doug
                  > >
                  > i wish you could have seen it too
                  >
                  > the attempt to blow it up at the cerimony to mark the
                  > begining of constructing the dam was hillarious
                  > or at least i tought so.

                  It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account and saw some pics
                  in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the first-hand report!

                  Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot, you might be
                  interested in my first scrath-build project for my NTrak module set:

                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

                  Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner Pass", web
                  photos as well as some measurements I took while out there on a trip
                  in '97.

                  I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse (narrowed to 5 stalls)
                  and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of the depot,
                  although my source material is kinda thin on those.

                  Maybe you or others in the group might have some info?

                  Doug
                • John Teall
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
                    --- Doug Stuard <dstuard@...> wrote:
                    > It sure must have been a hoot! I read the account
                    > and saw some pics
                    > in Best's and Browne's books. Thanks for the
                    > first-hand report!
                    >
                    > Since you spent so much time at the Colfax Depot,
                    > you might be
                    > interested in my first scrath-build project for my
                    > NTrak module set:

                    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax1.jpg

                    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dstuard/railimages/Colfax2.jpg

                    > Source material was Best's book and Signor's "Donner
                    > Pass", web
                    > photos as well as some measurements I took while out
                    > there on a trip
                    > in '97.
                    >
                    > I have also modelled the concrete enginehouse
                    > (narrowed to 5 stalls)
                    > and hope to add the packing sheds that were west of
                    > the depot,
                    > although my source material is kinda thin on those.
                    >
                    > Maybe you or others in the group might have some
                    > info?
                    >

                    > Doug

                    all i ever saw of that engine house of course was the
                    footings and the tracks which at first, in 57 had a
                    whole bunce of outfit cars (box and some obsolete
                    passinger that had been converted to living quarters
                    for track crewes) parked on them. later in the early
                    to mid 60s there was a silica ball mill that turned
                    the silica rock that was the hydraulic mining tailings
                    into the fine powder that colgate put in toothpaste
                    occupied the site.

                    now the fruit sheds were still a going (albeit
                    seasonal) concern in the all through the 60s and well
                    into the 70s

                    the (east) end nearest the depot was a concrete cold
                    storage room that i'm not sure what year it was added
                    on but likely either during the last years of the
                    narrowgauge just befor wwii or very shortly thereafter
                    if not.

                    last time i was up there, just a couple of years ago,
                    the structure itself was mostly still there. what had
                    been the cold storage room had some outfit
                    manufacturing scateboard in there and they had knocked
                    a new hole in the wall for a loading door. i don't
                    think they lasted very long. this was oh more or less
                    arround ten years ago or so that was in there. the
                    next section of the fruit sheds that abbuted and
                    shared the platform on the standard gauge side was the
                    actual sorting and packing shed itself. somewhere not
                    too long before i got back down here from my sojurn up
                    in oregon, in 87, that had been converted into a kind
                    of minimall with a couple of botiquie type shops and a
                    restaurant of some kind. not really a good location
                    for retain and i don't think anyone in there stayed
                    very successfull at it very long. when i was up there
                    a couple of three years ago they were mostly empty and
                    the restaurant bussiness was closed and likely up for
                    sale.

                    current status in the last couple of years unknown.

                    essentialy the overall shape of the structure remained
                    unchainged as far as the roofline and the track
                    platform (north) side of it, with visualy signifigant
                    but structrualy cosmetic chainges on the street side.

                    weather any of that is still there i can't say for
                    sure but chances are REAL good it still is.

                    after the skateboard place moved out of the cold
                    storage room there was what looked like the beggining
                    of partial demolition so i don't know if that has
                    since taken place. the cold storage room was a
                    concrete structure so unless somebody put some money
                    and effort into tearing it down it's likely still
                    there or at least enough of it to get dementions off
                    of. the sorting shed was a mostly wooden structure,
                    but like i said had been maintained and is likely stll
                    there. further west of there had once been the
                    transfer shed for the narrowgauge, that (along with as
                    noted, the engine house itself), was already gone
                    when i first set eyes on the place in 57.

                    the y for turning engines incidently was still in
                    place and on rare occasions used prior to the building
                    of the silica ball mill and i'm not sure but possibly
                    after.

                    in the late 50s and early 60s a single f-unit was most
                    often used on the work trains and would sometimes be
                    turned on that y. and occasionaly other power. the
                    ends of it would accomodate two f-units as i recall
                    but not three or four.

                    sometimes when there was more then one eastbound
                    freight to get in the clear they'd back it in on the
                    track still identified as roundhouse lead.

                    sometimes when my dad was working there
                    they'd swap power on eastboud freights especialy if
                    there were units failing on one.

                    in those days, well right up until arround 80 or 81
                    when my dad retired at norden they were still using
                    mid train helpers that were cut off at norden and sent
                    back down the hill light to roseville.

                    if a train at colfax needed additional units they'd
                    grab these and put them on there.

                    i don't know when the stopped having a 24 hour manned
                    office in colfax but in 77 when i left for oregon for
                    ten years (and my dad was still working third trick i
                    think it was at norden) i know they still did.

                    =^^=
                    .../\...

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools