Re: Fw: Caboose Restoration issues

  • mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2003
      I can only sympathize. One of our local "toorist attrakshuns" which
      likes to call itself a museum, arbitrarily painted a 'restored' tank car
      with the incorrect number because they thought it looked better as "42"
      to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Alcan highway. The fact that
      this tank car #28 wasn't even on the railway before 1949 was
      conveniently overlooked since it didn't fit their selective version of
      'reality'. All of my suggestions to the contrary fell on totally deaf
      ears. "Our minds are made up, don't confuse us with facts"
      When we offered to restore the correct number at no cost to them, we
      were threatened with charges of vandalism.
      Historical accuracy has nothing to do with it.
      Good Luck!!

      Mike

      Harry Marnell wrote:

      > Folks -
      >
      > Can someone with experience in restoration and/or museums/societies respond
      > to Mr. Lacey's concerns.
    • John Christensen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2003
        Hi - I will forward this message to the museum so they can take a look at
        it. I am currently on active duty with the Army so I suggest that further
        communications should be directed to Al Dittmann at maral@... until
        further notice. Al can direct these requests to the appropriate personnel.
        Thanks, John