Re: Wm Graver tank NCNG - WP&YR

  • mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2003
      On close inspection it is evident that the wall of the dome has been cut
      and welded. Therefore we could assume that the dome is shorter than
      originally constructed. When the dome was shortened is still open to
      conjecture.
      There is some evidence that NCNG had short dome tank cars for
      fuel oil use, as well there is evidence that the PCRy also had short
      dome tank cars. I also understand that the NCNG received most, if not
      all, of their tank cars from the PCRy.

      Page 175 of "A Tale of Two Cities and a Train" by Juanita K. Brown shows
      a tank car with dome similar to the NCNG 303/Wm Graver tank and dome.
      If you have a copy of this book, perhaps you can send me a copy of that
      photo.

      On the NCNG museum website an article about NCNGRR #9 states
      "On July 25, 1942, four tank cars were ready to go to Colfax so they
      could be
      shipped to their new owners. "
      Were these #181, #183, #301, & #1004, the tank cars that went to the
      WP&YR?
      Since this was the last trip for locomotive #9, is it possible that
      pictures of this train including these tank cars were taken, and might
      be in someones's collection.

      The 5 vertical panels on the Wm Graver tank have the following widths:
      64", 67", 61", 64", 67" for a total length of 323" ~ 27'
      Outside diameter of the tank end, inside diameter of the tank is 77"
      Outside diameter of the dome is 36 1/4" .
      Wall height of the dome is 2 1/4" at the top of the tank.
      Diameter of the cap-plug is 17 1/2"
      Volume of the tank computes as ~6500 gallons or ~ 155 barrels

      I've sent three detail images of the dome which show the weld and
      the cap in place, to Boerries for addition to the webpage.

      http://www.whitepassfan.net/whitepass/home/html/print.php?sid=48

      Mike
    • mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2003