Re: Wm Graver Tank - WP&YR

  • mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2003
      John,

      If you find any images that match this tank it would be very helpful.
      It appears that the tank has artifact potential and I want to assemble
      as much information as possible on the tank's history before I make a
      case for preservation to the Yukon Government heritage branch. The fact
      that the tank is presently owned by the Territorial government makes
      this a possibility worth pursuing.

      I have located a bit of history on the company that manufactured this
      unique railroad car oil tank:

      In 1886, William Graver formed a company called William Graver's Tank
      Works in Lima, Ohio. The company moved to East Chicago, Indiana in 1888,
      where it became Graver Tank and Manufacturing Company. Originally a
      fabricator of storage tanks, the company soon began supplying pressure
      and steam vessels as well as water treatment storage tanks for the
      rapidly expanding Midwest railroad industry. The forerunner of today's
      Graver Technologies is believed to have supplied its first water
      treatment plant in 1906 for the purification of water used in the new
      high pressure steam boilers just coming into use on locomotives.

      Most of the water used in steam locomotives was lime softened, and
      railroads continued to be the company's principal customers in these
      early days. Rail tank cars became a major product of the company, along
      with the early precursors of water treatment systems for boiler feed
      water.

      thanks again,

      Mike Peltier
      Whitehorse
      WP&YR

    • bcpryor <bpryor@pacifier.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2003
        Mike,

        It looks more and more like an ex-NGNGRR tank.

        Compare your photos at:
        http://www.whitepassfan.net/whitepass/home/html/print.php?sid=48
        to the top photo at:
        http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!02!0D!14DE915BE8D5/NCNG/
        NEVADACOUNTYNARROW/page3.html

        (Copy and paste a line at a time if that long URL is wrapped)

        The tank cars behind the locomotive have low domes like the one you
        discovered at
        Whitehorse.

        I no longer have the NCNGRR book by Best but I photocopied the tank
        cars pictures,
        which I can't find now!

        I haven't seen that low-style dome anywhere else.

        Bruce Pryor
      • bcpryor <bpryor@pacifier.com>