Re: [whitepassfanlist] Wm Graver Tank - WP&YR

  • mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2003
      That's a good point Bruce, and certainly a posibility, although I didn't
      see any obvious indication that the dome had been cut down and rewelded.
      I also wonder why they would need to shorten the dome. I will get back
      to the govt yard early next week and take a closer look at the dome for
      signs of a reweld, or a different style of rivet.

      According to information I've collected, two tanks went to BYN for fuel
      storage after they became unfit for mainline service: WP&YR #14 ex
      ET&WNC tank #603 listed as 4500 gallons went to BYN storage 5-52,
      and WP&YR #17 Ex NCNG # 183, listed as 6500 gallons, rated unfit for
      main line service (1943), to BYN Storage 1952. I don't know if these
      tanks were used on barges to move oil/gas downriver to Dawson or if they
      were used for fuel storage at the riverboat wharf.

      Tank #14 is less volume than this tank and the pictures you sent of
      ET&WNC tanks #601 and #603 show 'normal' height domes, so it's probably
      not #14.

      Bob Thompson <bthompso@...> states: "pictures in Best's book
      show several low domed tanks. I can't say if they are the same dome but
      they might be. Unfortunately I can't tell what numbers they are."

      This tank might be WP&YR #17 Ex NCNG # 183; if someone finds an
      identified picture of NCNG # 183 then we can confirm or deny that
      possibility.

      Mike