Re: NCNG Tank cars > WP&YR

  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
      <It might be incorrect to assume they were all the same as the tank car>
      <and flat restored for the NCNG museum>

      The tanks on the cars that you are interested are different from the one on the car at Nevada City although they probably all came from the Pacific Coast Ry. It is almost certain that these tanks came originally from small standard gauge tank cars and it may be that no two were identical. The tanks modeled by Trout Creek were based on Standard Oil car X-105 and are little smaller than the ex-PCRy cars.
      Regards,
      Greg Maxwell

    • mike
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2003
        EANDPNG@... wrote:

        > The tanks on the cars that you are interested are different from the
        > one on the car at Nevada City although they probably all came from the
        > Pacific Coast Ry. It is almost certain that these tanks came
        > originally from small standard gauge tank cars and it may be that no
        > two were identical.
        > Greg Maxwell

        I found one of the old WP&YR tank car tanks today in the Territorial
        government compound.
        This 6500 gallon tank is 27ft long and 6ft 5in diameter
        It has a couple of unusual features: The dome is very short, and it has
        a screw in cap plug rather than a hinged hatch.

        The tank was made by Wm GRAVER TANK WORKS CHICAGO, as indicated by this
        information cast into the top of the dome. This may be one of the ex
        NCNG tanks.

        I took a few pictures, if anyone is interested let me know off-list.

        Mike