Re: NG caboose at Dutch Flat?

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
      Thank you very much, John, I'll pass the info on. Your new website is really
      terrific.

      I'll be up in GV this Friday for an appointment, will drive by and check out the
      progress on the museum... weather permitting.

      harry (in wet WET Humboldt!)
      http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/alton.htm <~~ Alton & Pacific Steam RR,
      Humboldt County

        > A guy over in Alta has posted questions to the "calrailfans" list about a
        > narrow-gauge caboose sitting in front of the Community Center at Dutch
        Flat.
        > I'm wondering if it could have belonged to NCNG... any thoughts.. or
        actual
        > INFO??
        >
        > He has reported "It looks narrow guage and has spoked wheels... It's an
        old
        > wooden caboose with spoked rail wheels. Has Towle Bros. written on the
        side.
        > Possibly a local lumbr company rail caboose? There's a NCNG caboose in
        Colfax
        > and they don't even look alike."
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Harry
        > http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/ncng.htm NCNG at Grass Valley / Nevada
        City

      • John Christensen
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
          Thanks Harry - There should be someone there on Friday. Thursday and
          Saturday for sure. We have a boy scout troop helping clean up on #5. The
          senior scout is doing this as his Eagle Scout project and has to help direct
          the other scout on the project. They helped Ken Yeo take off the side rods
          on one side and then went to work on their own on the other side. Sanded and
          buffed the rods and cross heads on tuesday. Ken and the guys have taken
          everything off the engine to do some deep cleaning and lubrication and then
          she will go back together again with a new boiler jacket. Take Care.
          John C

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/