NG caboose at Dutch Flat?

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
      A guy over in Alta has posted questions to the "calrailfans" list about a
      narrow-gauge caboose sitting in front of the Community Center at Dutch Flat.
      I'm wondering if it could have belonged to NCNG... any thoughts.. or actual
      INFO??

      He has reported "It looks narrow guage and has spoked wheels... It's an old
      wooden caboose with spoked rail wheels. Has Towle Bros. written on the side.
      Possibly a local lumbr company rail caboose? There's a NCNG caboose in Colfax
      and they don't even look alike."

      Thanks,

      Harry
      http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/ncng.htm NCNG at Grass Valley / Nevada City
    • Marie L Schwaegerl
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
        A guy over in Alta has posted questions to the "calrailfans" list about a
        narrow-gauge caboose sitting in front of the Community Center at Dutch Flat.
        I'm wondering if it could have belonged to NCNG... any thoughts.. or actual
        INFO??

        He has reported  "It looks narrow gauge and has spoked wheels... It's an old
        wooden caboose with spoked rail wheels. Has Towle Bros. written on the side.
        Possibly a local lumbr company rail caboose? There's a NCNG caboose in Colfax
        and they don't even look alike."

        ***I don't believe that this caboose in Dutch Flat is a NCNG caboose because the NCNG only had one caboose.. It was built in the shops in Grass Valley in 1939..

        Marie
      • Pacific Electric
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
          Thanks a lot, Eric & Marie

          Harry

          > A guy over in Alta has posted questions to the "calrailfans" list about a
          > narrow-gauge caboose sitting in front of the Community Center at Dutch
          > Flat.
          > I'm wondering if it could have belonged to NCNG... any thoughts.. or
          > actual
          > INFO??
          >
          > He has reported "It looks narrow gauge and has spoked wheels... It's an
          > old
          > wooden caboose with spoked rail wheels. Has Towle Bros. written on the
          > side.
          > Possibly a local lumbr company rail caboose? There's a NCNG caboose in
          > Colfax
          > and they don't even look alike."
          >
          > ***I don't believe that this caboose in Dutch Flat is a NCNG caboose
          > because the NCNG only had one caboose.. It was built in the shops in
          > Grass Valley in 1939..
          >
          > Marie
        • Harry Marnell
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
            Thank you very much, John, I'll pass the info on. Your new website is really
            terrific.

            I'll be up in GV this Friday for an appointment, will drive by and check out the
            progress on the museum... weather permitting.

            harry (in wet WET Humboldt!)
            http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/alton.htm <~~ Alton & Pacific Steam RR,
            Humboldt County

              > A guy over in Alta has posted questions to the "calrailfans" list about a
              > narrow-gauge caboose sitting in front of the Community Center at Dutch
              Flat.
              > I'm wondering if it could have belonged to NCNG... any thoughts.. or
              actual
              > INFO??
              >
              > He has reported "It looks narrow guage and has spoked wheels... It's an
              old
              > wooden caboose with spoked rail wheels. Has Towle Bros. written on the
              side.
              > Possibly a local lumbr company rail caboose? There's a NCNG caboose in
              Colfax
              > and they don't even look alike."
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Harry
              > http://www.snowcrest.net/marnells/ncng.htm NCNG at Grass Valley / Nevada
              City

            • John Christensen
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 29, 2002
                Thanks Harry - There should be someone there on Friday. Thursday and
                Saturday for sure. We have a boy scout troop helping clean up on #5. The
                senior scout is doing this as his Eagle Scout project and has to help direct
                the other scout on the project. They helped Ken Yeo take off the side rods
                on one side and then went to work on their own on the other side. Sanded and
                buffed the rods and cross heads on tuesday. Ken and the guys have taken
                everything off the engine to do some deep cleaning and lubrication and then
                she will go back together again with a new boiler jacket. Take Care.
                John C

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/