721Re: Re: Outside Brace Box Cars?

    Jan 25, 2010
      The car you're referring to is Boxcar 32, it was one of a kind. From what I recall, the car was built with outside bracing originally but later received sheething like the rest of the boxcar fleet. The how when and why I do not have in front of me. In any case it is one of the first, if not the first, boxcar built by the Grass Valley shops and according to Herman should be 26' long. There was an article by Jim Vail wherein he built a model of this car which contained a little information about it.

      Vail, Jim, “Two HOn3 Nevada County Narrow Gauge Boxcars,”Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette, November/December 1999, 76-79. A sctratchbuilding article on constructing a 26' outside framed NCNG box car in HOn3. Includes a drawing of car #32 as an outside framed car and a reprint of Herman Darr’s drawing of the 1930’s version of the NCNG’s 26' box cars (NCNG-6, 1982 version).

      -=Andrew Brandon=-
      http://www.pacificng.com

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic