675Re: Micro Trains Flat Car

  • flobarchetti
    Mar 10, 2009
      Andrew,

      thank you for providing all that interesting information about the various cabs, int.combustion engines and proper colour on freight cars.

      Reading about colour on freight cars leads me to another question. What was the painting scheme on the NCNGRR for the underbody and the trucks on freight cars?
      (I assume the wooden parts of the car body were bare wood, but have no idea about the metal parts and the trucks.)

      Florian

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:

      > Aaron,
      >
      > There are a few more issues with the car that I should point out. It
      > slipped my mind in the first message. If you take a look at the model
      > picture it has a steel frame. The NCNG cars did not as they were the
      > flatcar portions of the old F&CC gondolas. MT has been releasing their
      > gondola with the steel frame from the Reefer. This means that the car
      > is largely only a caricature of the real cars. The lack of truss rods
      > is the major problem here. There is a great shot of Flatcar 151 in
      > Best's book which will help illustrate the differences for those of
      > you curious. Micro Trains is to be commended for NCNG RTR models in
      > HOn3, it is a shame that it isn't accurate.
      >
      > For the record; the NCNG painted painted their freight cars the same
      > color, a bright red. This red would be very similar to an Oxide Red in
      > shade, possibly brighter. I have yet to sit down and work up a paint
      > match at this point. I would suggest simply using Floquil Zinc
      > Chromate Primer, it makes a good Oxide Red. Keep in mind whatever
      > color you choose to use should definitely be red and not brown.
      >
      > -=Andrew=-

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic