615Re: Gold Quartz monument in Colfax questions

  • gauge18rr
    Jul 1, 2008
      Kinda quiet around here, eh?
      I was in Colfax this weekend, then looked at the books afterwards to try to figure out what
      I was looking at. As I see it, the quartz monument was in the current grassy area east of
      the restored SP passenger depot. Its shown in a photo about 2/3 the way through the
      Best book. It's squarish, maybe 12'x12' and 10' tall, with two pillars flanking the standard
      gauge side. Because it was made of (probably) gold bearing quartz, my guess is that it
      did not survive the depression.

      Apparently there will be a Colfax Railroad days this year, September 27 and 28. It would
      be nice for some people to provide some history of the NCNG there, that day.
      O. Anderson

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >

      > I believe this stood just North of the the two station buildings,
      > (main passanger and then the security office).
      > Does this monument still stand? Are there any known pics of it beside
      > what was in the book? trying to build a model of it for my layout,
      > but have no idea of her size, shape, color or nothing, just that
      > it "was there" at sometime.
      >
      > anyone,, anyone,, Bueller?
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > Mike D