380Re: An introduction and some questions

  • Aaron Splawn
    Jul 1, 2005
      Welcome Randy! I too am new to the group, but have modeled and collected NCNG stuff for a long time. I think you will discover that the NCNG has a lot to offer. Not only can you still capture mountain railroading with deep canyons and tall trestles, but you can also model numerous industries, along with city streets with victorian homes.

      I model in Hon3 and would love to see some kits produced. Chicago Park station would be awesome... It's already been done in O scale, but I'm not aware of one in HO. The engine house in Nevada City would be another great, and simple kit.

      As for maps, Herman Darr sketched out a set of maps a few years ago. They show the main line and the spurs in relation to todays roads. They're great for goin out and chasing the old right-of-way.

      Hope this helps, Aaron

      Randy Brown <asmtrains@...> wrote:
      Hi all,
      Name's Randy Brown.

      I have been model railroading since 1964.

      I have owned two hobby shops through the years and now own and
      operate Arrowhead Scale Models (Narrow Gauge Gazette has been kind
      enough to review my O Scale "Eagle Talon" gas station (in their
      current issue).

      In the early '70's I had the privilege of hanging around The Little
      Depot, near Anaheim, CA., which was a Mecca of narrow gauge nuts like
      Paul Scoles and Lonnie Shay.

      I became hooked on NG and have never recovered.

      I have modeled in Z, N, HO and most narrow gauge scales except G.

      After seeing the YSL moduler layout at last year's NG convention, I
      finally decided to start an On30 home layout.

      I've always liked the RGS but I don't wish to model, what so many
      have (I do have most of the books on the subject though).
      I also like the SPNG and currently live about 3 miles from the "Jaw
      Bone Branch" (which was the standard gauge connection to the south).
      I like the SP equipment, but the scenery and operations (or lack of)
      don't make it (for me).
      I like to model trees and lots of them.

      A good friend suggested I look into the NCNG.
      I really like the country up there and will read some of the
      suggested books on the subject.

      I think I would model it as a "what if" railroad.
      One that weathered the lack of business during the war and made it
      into the fifties.
      Perhaps inherited some more of the SPNG equipment and maybe some from
      the D&RGW and RGS??

      Some preliminary questions I have are:
      * What size rail was primarily used on the NCNG?
      * How many miles of mainline did they build?
      * Do either of the books "NCNG" or "Tale of ..." have maps of the
      railroad?
      * When did the nice herald with the track between the trees come into
      being?

      BTW: Would there be any interest in my producing NCNG structures and
      cars?
      And if so, am I permitted to make announcements of my new products on
      this forum??

      Thanks for a great group,

      Randy Brown
      Arrowhead Scale Models
      P.O. Box 53
      Randsburg, CA. 93554
      (Yes, I live about 75 yards from the Randsburg Barber Shop that Paper
      Creek based their model on.....)
      Please, check out my E-Bay Store at:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Arrowhead-Scale-Models

      Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check them out!