FW: [NCNCA] Reminder! Mike's Bikes Cat's Hill Classic Pre-registration closes in 24 hours!

  • Larry Nolan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2012

      While the start of this e-mail may sound like advice from an old man, it’s “free coaching” and it goes like this.

      25 years ago I took out a racing license to help become a better triathlete.  24 years ago, I raced at Cat’s Hill in my second USCF race and THREW MY CHAIN on the very first lap.  Doh!  I remembered Tom Simonson saying on the start line “we will pull riders out of contention”.  Those words had me thinking that the pack HAD TO BE closing in on me as I got the chain back on and soloed to chase the field.

      I wanted to share this story with those of you that have not yet raced Cat’s Hill Classic.  If we’ve met at the Early Birds you may recall the coaches and I talking about “horses for courses”.  The Early Birds and many other flat and fast industrial park criteriums are absolutely boring as compared to Cat’s Hill Classic.  This downtown Los Gatos course has it all – a challenging climb, a chance to recover on the descent, and just enough road before and after each of these entertaining sections so that tactics get a chance to play out.  In other words, a not-so fit, but skilled and fast finisher may win the Early Birds, whereas the winners at Cat’s Hill will be strong, skilled, smart and fast.  Cat’s Hill truly is a “classic” race.

      I’m writing this note to encourage those that have not raced Cat’s Hill to give it a go.  If you have thrown a chain or didn’t win in the past, then you have a new goal.  I wrote the “tips from mentors” so please check them out (somehow credit was removed).  Please pass this along to teammates that might have missed the chance to race at Cat’s Hill.

      Thank you to Barry Gordon and his team.  I’ll be at Cat’s Hill all day and hope to see you at this Northern California classic.  Cheers, Larry Nolan, Early Bird Leader, Team Specialized Director, and USA Cycling West Coast Development Camp Coach.