Fw: dW² - 2011 Putah Creek Time Trial #1, We d 03.16.11, 6:00pm

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2011

      From: Davis Wheelworks <info@...>
      To: colbrio@...
      Sent: Tue, March 15, 2011 7:24:44 AM
      Subject: dW² - 2011 Putah Creek Time Trial #1, Wed 03.16.11, 6:00pm

      Davis 40km #4 - 08.17.11
      spacer (1K)

      Molly Van
HouwelingIt's that time of year again...time trials! Or, as it has become affectionately know as, the Putah Creek SmackDown (PCSD). The first Wednesday night TT is Wednesday, March 16th at 6:00pm. This is a low key, no charge, addicting event. Do not be intimidated to come out and participate - riders range anywhere from 10 year old kids to college students on borrowed bikes to recreational triathletes/cyclists (most of us) to professional cyclists/triathletes. It is a huge range of abilities, but it is also an extremely welcoming, friendly group. So - here is the take home message - this is a great event to offer yourself a challenge without the stress of mass start racing. You are competing with yourself throughout the season.

      In the past people have requested the opportunity to do a longer TT.  Thi
      s season we have found a couple of courses that we can safely do a 40km TT on.  In the next couple of weeks we will send out more information on the course, but know that it is within a couple of miles of the Putah Creek start.  Throughout the 2011 season, we will do four 40km events.  They will start at the same time (6:00pm), so we will do them when there is ample daylight.  Regardless if you are training for fitness, long course triathlon, TT's - these longer events will be a good challenging test for all participants.

      spacer (1K)
      Hors Categorie Photography

      spacer (1K)
      Phil MooneyPrint Images

      We are extremely fortunate to have a local, professional cycling photographer Mark Adkison that comes out to shoot the TT's whenever he can.  The coolest and fastest any of us are ever going to look while riding is on a TT bike - so take advantage of the resource and adorn your home or work office with one of Mark's images of you making Lance look like he's slow. To inquire about individual photographs, sizes, etc, contact hcphoto@...

      Jesse Moore

      Images for Position Analysis

      The other extremely useful purpose Mark's images offer is the easiest and most cost effective way to get faster - through position analysis. Refining position, and minimizing drag while sustaining power is the single most significant contributor to speed, regardless if you are going 15mph or 30 mph. Mark shoots a huge number of images of each rider, so this raw data can be critical in the analysis of rider position. It is impossible to absolutely analyze rider position in a static trainer, so these images from PCSD are one of the few places to get good positional images.

      2011 PCSD  Services courtesy of Hors Categorie Photography

      In 2011, we are changing the model for Mark's photography services at the Wednesday Night TT, and would appreciate feedback from those of you who ride it. Please email us at hcphoto@....

      We have provided professional quality images to the TT community for the past 4 years. We are pleased that these images have been useful to TT/Tri athletes and their coaches. We feel that, in a small way, we have contributed to the success of our Nor Cal cycling community.

      As the turnout for the TT has increased, the length of time it takes to process the images following each TT has also increased, exponentially. For every hour spent shooting at the TT, many more hours of work follow before you see the images up on the web.

      For 2011, we are transitioning to a pay to view service plan in order to continue to make providing these images feasible.  We have 6 plans available (click here to see them all), however believe the 2 plans below offer the most value and desired image quality/data for most athletes.

      Option 1:

      A 600 wide pixel image at maximum quality, hosted on the Hors Categorie Photography website that you can refer to throughout the season, and your friends and family can view.

      $10 per TT

      $7 per TT for 5 TTs for $35 (save $35)

      $5 per TT for 10 TTs for $50 (save $50)

      Biggest Savings - Option 1 2011 Season Pass for $60 available until March 31, 2011

      Option 2:

      You receive a 1200 wide image by email for your personal use, great for websites and photo quality prints up to 6x9 inches

      A 600 wide pixel image, hosted on the Hors Categorie Photography website that you can refer to throughout the season, and your friends and family can view.

      $20 per TT

      $15 per TT for 5 TTs for $75 (save $25)

      $12 per TT for 10 TTs for $120 (save $80)

      Biggest Savings - Option 2 2011 Season Pass for $150 available until March 31, 2011

      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)
      Rules of the Road

      The TT starts at 6:00pm. Try to show up by 5:30 so you can sign up and warm up. If you cannot arrive until after the start, no worries, as we can fit you in at the end. The TT starts on Putah Creek Road, about 100m west of the intersection of Stevenson Bridge Road and Putah Creek Road. This is where we sign up riders as well. When waiting for your start time or after the race, please do not congregate on the road. There is plenty of room to stand off to the side where we will not block traffic.  Additionally, since the road is not closed to traffic, please be sure to ride all the way to the right side of the road. Please avoid parking on Putah Creek Road and the section of Stevenson Bridge Road near the Putah Creek intersection. Click here to see a map indicating where to park - try to park in the area marked with green and avoid the red.

      Riders are sent off in 30 second intervals. At sign in, you will be assigned a number. As you come across the finish line, be sure to call out your number so we can record your time. You can get your results either after the event or wait for them to be e-mailed out.

      The final rule, especially for all you PCSD veterans...look around, and if you see someone you do not recognize - introduce yourself and welcome them into your group. Bike racing has a crappy, unfriendly, unwelcoming - yet well deserved - reputation. It doesn't do anything to help our sport. The great majority of PCSD attendees have always been incredibly friendly and cordial to all riders, which I think has directly contributed to the event's success and the increasing popularity of TT's in general.  Keep it up.

      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)
      Safety Rules
      • Wear a helmet.
      •  Ride to the far right of the road. Road is open to traffic. Be especially careful around corners.
      •  If you plan on driving to the TT, park your car on Stevenson's Bridge Road as far  onto the shoulder as possible. Park at least 100 ft away from any driveway.
      • Never ever block the driveway by the start. The owner of this residence is quite perturbed when we block it. This is important for the safety and to maintain the cooperation of the local residents.
      • When waiting to start or upon completion of the TT, stand off of the side of the road in the clearing.

      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)

      Directions To Start (Putah Creek 10 mile Course)

      View
      Putah Creek 10 mile Time Trial (aka Putah Creek SmackDown) in a larger map

      Click here if you cannot see the above map.

      From Sacramento:

         Take I-80 West

         A few miles west of Davis, Take the PEDRICK ROAD exit, EXIT 67

         Keep LEFT at the fork to go on SIEVERS RD/CR-436 for 2.8 miles

         Turn RIGHT onto STEVENSON BRIDGE RD for 2.8 miles

      From San Francisco:

         Take I-80 East

          A couple miles east of Dixon, Take the PEDRICK ROAD exit, EXIT 67

          Keep LEFT at the fork to go on SIEVERS RD/CR-436 for 2.8 miles

          Turn RIGHT onto STEVENSON BRIDGE RD for 2.8 miles

      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)

      If you cannot read this message, please click here

      spacer (1K)
      %COPYRIGHT%
      This email was sent by Davis Wheelworks, 247 F Street, Davis, CA 95616-4514, using Express Email Marketing. You were added to this list as colbrio@... on 5/31/2010.
      Express Email Marketing supports permission-based email marketing. You can change your preferences or unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.